SB800 Diffusor

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by vettenut, Apr 23, 2007.

1. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Anyone ever use the supplied diffusion attachment on the SB800 for wedding photo's? Curious if it is effective for short range shots (10-20')or if it cuts down on the light too much. - Jeff

2. It knocks about 1/3 to 2/3 of a stop off the top. I think it does just fine providing the lighting isn't really bad to start with.

[​IMG]

Mike

3. my understanding (and certainly the way I use it) is that it's purpose is to turn the direct flash into more of a 'bare bulb' flash,. hence it makes the light spread out in all angles,. is handy if there's walls / low ceiling for the light to bounce back off but shooting outside for instance it has minimal effect on the quality of the light

Sil

4. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Thanks Mike and Sil for the responses, I just found out I have to shoot a wedding for my Wife's best friend's daughter, whew! I just ordered the SB800 today and ordered the off flash sync cord so I can use my old flash bracket. The wedding is not in a church just a rented Hall and hopefully most of the formal shots will be outdoors weather permitting. Will definately try out the diffusor indoors. - Jeff

5. I've tried the supplied diffuser, Lightsphere II and Flip-it.

Of the three I get the best results with the Flip-it.

6. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Greg, who makes the "Flip It"? Have a link? Thanks for the input - Jeff

7. http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

I bought the Jumbo size directly from Demb.

This was recommended by many photographers from DWF, the Digital Wedding Forum web site.
    It's a pay site for wedding photographers, $99/yr.

I like the Lighsphere results, I hate the look of the tupperware/Fong Dong diffuser.
    I also use a Stroboframe Pro RL flash bracket.

8. I bought the Jumbo reflector only.