1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

sb800 flashes 3 times before the shutter release?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by E-Rock, Sep 25, 2008.

1. E-Rock

E-Rock

Sep 12, 2008
    Maui
    I am a newbie here and could not find a post about this. So here goes. On myd300 w/ sb800 mounted, I can not figure out how to get the flash to shop pre-flashing. I am assuming it is taking a reading for focus and/or exposure, but is there another way to do it?

2. bigwilly

bigwilly

Oct 19, 2007
    Toronto
    You probably have it set to Red eye reduction, change it to front curtain and just bounce it so there is no worry about red eye.

3. Aloha, E-Rock! The sb800 fires small test flash, which allows the camera to compute how many photons are needed to properly illuminate your picture. The second flash should be the burst of light that illuminates your picture. These two flashes occur within milliseconds of each other.

If you're getting a third flash, you may have the camera's flash sync set to Red-Eye Reduction mode. Change to Front-curtain Sync, which is considered the normal mode, to eliminate the extra 3rd flash.

Hope that helps. The sb800 is pretty complex, but hang in there and master it. It's worth it!

Edit: I see Big Willie beat me to it. Good job.

4. It's junk. Completely broken. You should get rid of it immediately and pick up the SB-900. I'll do you a favor and take that 800 off your hands for the princely sum of $100.:biggrin:

5. Mark, you rascal, quit driving up the prices. I was gonna offer him $75.

6. E-Rock

E-Rock

Sep 12, 2008
    Maui
    I didn't realize I wondered into the comedy section of the cafe!

7. E-Rock

E-Rock

Sep 12, 2008
    Maui
    Thanks guys... Red eye off!

8. Glad we were able to help, E-R.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.