1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB800 in low light

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ashman, Jul 20, 2008.

1. I am new to the SB800 and used it recently in a low light situation, all I got was out of focus shots. I thought this flash had an infrared 'helper' on the front to aid focusing in low light, is it supposed to engage automatically or does it need to be turned on. I couldn't make heads or tales of the manual and find anything helpful on this.

Thanks

AM

2. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    The most common reason for "failure" of the AF assist illuminator on the SB-800 is not setting the camera to single servo autofocus (AF-S). AF assist will not operate in continuous (AF-C) or manual focus modes. The distance and focal length ranges where AF assist is effective are described on pages 62 and 63 of the SB-800 manual. Also, have you checked that AF assist is not disabled in the custom settings menu as described on pages 67-70 of the manual?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.