SB800 Multiple Modelling Lights

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by triangular, Sep 4, 2005.

1. I can't seem to get the modelling light active on more than one unit at a time, using one Master and one remote, for example. I notice that on the back of the Master unit, if the Master is highlighted when I hit the modelling light button, the Master unit does its thing but not the remote. If the Remote is hightlighted on the Master unit's LCD, the Remote does its thing but not the Master. A lot of good that does! Am I suppose to guess by superimposing my two memories?

Here's the thing - when I put both units in SU-4 mode, pressing the modelling light button on the unit which is connected to the camera will actually cause both units to activate the modelling light (although pressing this button on the stand-alone unit does nothing). This would be fine, except that I can't run between both units switching between SU-4 and the other wireless modes every time I need the modelling lights (because you cannot remotely control a remote unit in SU-4 mode, or use any of the other CLS features). I can't believe it's suppose to work this way, and the manual does appear to say all the modelling lights should fire together.

What is going on? Thanks.

2. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I must confess I haven't played with this too much but I had gotten the impression from somewhere that it was one channel at a time, though I agree with you that is less than ideal. What if none of the channels are "highlighted" when you press the modeling light button, does it work then?

If you have a D2x you can get the modeling lights for all channels to fire simultaneously by pressing the DOF preview button.

3. Jeff,

Thank you for that tid-bit. I was in fact able to kick off all the modelling lights together by depressing the DOF button on the camera. Where the heck did you find that info? It's not in the SB800 manual. I did find a reference in the manual to a modelling light button on the camera, but it didn't say which camera function would do it! I am happy to know how to make this work, but I think its just bizarre you can't do it from the Master unit, and worse that the manual doesn't tell you how to do it from the camera. Weird. Thank you for the info!

4. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I first heard about it in a post by Charles Wilt a while back. I also seem to recall reading something about it in Thom Hogan's D2x guide. I think there may actually be a custom setting buried somewhere in one of the menus that allows you to turn this feature on/off.

5. Well it should be in the damn SB800 manual! Sheesh! Anyway, thanks for the info. I don't know how Nikon expects people to know about that. I'm hoping to find a good guide book on using the Nikon Flash system, CLS and all it's associated glories. With the addition of 2 or more lights, exposure compensations and various modes one can experiment with, it gets pretty confusing exponentially with the more lights you add and start changing settings on a per light basis. I haven't been able to find any kind of a real guide for the flash system itself. Hogan had one but it seems to be out of print, and I don't think it included the newer SB800's or CLS system anyway. Do you know of any good guides or other sources of information or tutorials?

6. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I don't know of anything currently available except for the flash chapter in Hogan's D2x guide. That chapter is pretty good but I don't think it goes into the level of detail you're looking for.

Supposedly, Thom is working on a new, updated version of his Flash Guide (he makes several references to it in the D2x guide). But I don't think he's announced a release date yet.

7. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Christian,

Jeff led you in the right direction regarding the modeling lights. I have not found a good detailed guide to Nikons CLS yet. If I find something I will let you know.

8. What was first? The SB-800 or the D2X? The SB-800 was first and the manual did not know it yet that the DOF button could be used on a D2X. So yes they should maybe put in a new updated SB-800 manual. So not your fualt not Nikons fault. But atleast i am happy you found out. And sometimes manuals are not good enough. Look sometimes at DVD, computer or TV manuals the cover say model XXXX but all the photo's inside are from a previous model or from a later model. Atleast the manuals from nikon show the real camera. My manual of the SB-800 really was terrible. The Thom Hogan instructions of the D70 E-Book gone also about the SB-800 was much better.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

9. Well, the DOF appears to be the button that activates the modelling mode on all Nikon CLS/i-TTL cameras, so I don't know why they wouldn't put that in the manual. I agree with you the SB800 manual is by no means a users guide. It's more of a collection of tech specs. Nikon writes user guides about the way they design software; it's useable but you'd better already know what you're doing. I'm collecting links for SB800 tutorials and other sources of information, which I'll post here when I finish compiling enough. Thanks for all the input.

10. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I believe Thom Hogan is re-doing his guide to Nikon flash. That will be worth the wait.

11. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    He has been saying that for a while now. I am sure when it does come out that it will be a good guide and I will be one of the first to purchase.

12. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    Page 85 of the D2x manual. I don't believe this works with the D70.

13. Yeah but I don't have a D2X, yet anyway. I have a D2H! Maybe it's in that manual but I've never found that. Anyhow, if the DOF button is a standard the way it seems, it should be documented in the flash manual. Dontcha think? Oh I don't care Im just glad Im a member of this forum and there are people better informed than me on such things.

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    For what its worth, I found it by accident.