SB800 problem

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Cope, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I am getting an occasional flash from my SB800 when mounted on my D200. I noticed this yesterday when it flashed as I stood up to take a picture. Today I was able to get it to flash at random, and just now I was outside taking some pictures, and it flashed when I zoomed the lens. It did this with regularity. The flash is like a commander mode or pre-flash. it isn't bright.

2. There are a couple of threads over on the Nikonians forums that address this problem. Some have suggested it is a problem with the flash foot being slightly "loose" in the hotshoe, and others say it is due to the battery terminals being dirty. I've never experienced the problem myself, so I'll defer on the answer. Lots on info in those threads, though.

Good luck, and let us know if you find a solution.

3. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Thanks

My flash is a little loose in the shoe. I also had this phantom flash just after taking a picture using flash. I doubt it is contacts , but anything is possible.

4. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

This is a case of the flash, slightly loose in the shoe. When you lock the flash a pin drops down. This contact, when you jiggle or move the camera slightly is causing these flashes

I actually, have just contacted Nikon support, we will let you know what there answer is.

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I emailed Nikon support and they replied back to me. They want me to try another D200, and if it happens with that body, just send the flash. If it doesn't, send my D200 and flash. The issue is so intermittent that I may as well send my D200.SB800 and be done with it.

My concern is not knowing what their turnaround is. I need the camera around the middle of August and again the first week of September, and they will not quote turnaround time.

6. I going to guess a couple of weeks, but probably not much more than that. I sent a lens in for warranty work, and it took about 16 days for the total round trip. Others have reported similar experiences. Overall, Nikon repair work seems to be pretty quick. Still, it's just a guess.

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas

David, I sent them a defective battery which they received 7/5/07. They logged it in on 7/9/07, and mailed me an acknowledgement/estimate 7/10 that arrievd 7/14. They will do nothing until I authorize the (warranty) repair (replacement?). I logged in yesterday and told them to proceed. I guess with the camera/flash, I will call a day or two after they receive the stuff to get the ball rolling, rather than wait for a snail mail notice.

8. co-incidence that this happened last night to me,. thanks for the link,. think in my case I accidently pressed the dof preview - doh :)

Sil

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    That triggered mine once too, as did pushing the function button ( I do not have it set for FV Lock). When the flash decides to fire, anything will trigger it. FWIW, I cannot duplicate the problem with my SC-17 attached to the flash. Both ends make a tight fit, so the loose connection theory is sound.

10. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Update

My D200/SB800 are due to arrive in El Segundo tomorrow. Nikon apparently replaced my defective battery under warranty, and it should be here tonight. Nikon told me batteries aren' covered under warranty, but B&H told me they had a 1 year warranty, so I mailed mine in.

11. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I had this happen once or twice and realized I had set the FUNC button on the front to fire modeling flash. When I changed the FUNC button setting, I didn't have that problem any more.

12. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Walter, I have func set to spot metering for all 4 banks. The func button is one that would trigger the flash, and the phantom flash was just like the flash you get when you set FV with the func button

13. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

from NIKON TECH VP:

Yes, we have a cure for the flashing. It requires both the camera body and the flash. It involves smoothing the surfaces of the shoes on both the camera and strobe. There sometimes seems to be some kind of electronic action going on between them that causes pre-flash. I would try to live with it until next time you need to send the equipment in. Remind me and we will deal with it.
    This is directly from an e-mail sent to me this morning, from a nikon vp.

We hope this helps you.

14. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Too late to help me, they received mine 7/19/07. You could howeevr help others by asking your VP friend to instruct his tech people to pass this along to those who enquire about the problem. I have a pretty loose connection between the flash and hot shoe that may or may not be a contributing factor. Also, my problem took 2 1/2 months to surface. Thanks for the reply, I will let you know what nikon says/does to mine.

15. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Follow-up

I spoke with Nikon today, and repairs are completed. They replaced the hot shoe on the D200 and cleaned the shoe on the flash. They did the usual cleaning, checking and adjusting as well. I should have the camera back by mid week, so we shall see if they fixed the problem.

Photoshooter, thanks for your information.

16. fcobb

fcobb Guest

Send the body back to Nikon. They've seen this problem a number of times. Mine was so bad it was almost impossible to use and on camera flash. I even had my SU800 fire remote flashes intermittently. Nikon replaced my hot shoe under warranty. Flashes fit very snug now and problem has not resurfaced.
    It's apparently a hotshoe/flash contact issue.

17. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    End of trail

I got my D200/SB-800 back from Nikon today. They receievd it from UPS on 7/20/07 and shipped it out 7/27/07. According to their paperwork the replaced the hot shoe on the D200 and replaced the DC/DC convertor and cleaned the hot shoe on the SB-800. I can tell the fit between the flash and camera is much snugger. FWIW, they didn't mess with any of my custom settings.

I had also complained about the command dial on the back not always letting me out of a menu. No mention of a repair, but the foucs area lock was unlocked when I got it back, so maybe they fixed something there.