SB800 Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vettenut, May 2, 2007.

1. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    I recently purchased an SB800 and I want to power it with an external power pack. I have an old Perma -Pak (Imported at one time by Mamiya, I believe) that I used with a Minolta 5400xi Flash. It is a rechargeable Lead Acid battery that outputs 6 Volts DC. I charged it up and it works fine with my Minolta Flash. I noticed a Quantum Flash adapter cable for the SB800 that has an RCA type connector on the end of it that would mate perfectly with my battery pack. I would think it would work fine, the Minolta flash spec was 6 V @ 7 Watts. Any opinions? (Although I prefer facts):biggrin: - Jeff

2. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

You might do a search for "black box". I had many problems concerning Quantum and Fuji and ended up having to have 2 Fuji's factory repaired because of the Quantum battery. Al Jacobson came to the rescue with reasonably priced re-chargeable battery packs that virtually guarantee 1000 flashes per charge. bsvirginian

3. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Bob, I actually got the Quantum Flash Cable from his web site, he provides P/N's for the cables themselves because he does not supply them with his "Black Box" he will however modify the cable to change the connector type if so desired. I figured why buy a "Black Box" is I already have an existing battery pack. I would definately buy his product without question if I didn't already have one. Just a bit nervous in just hooking it up to the flash unit and hoping for the best although I fell 90% certain it would work fine, it's that 10% of uncertainty that worries me. - Jeff

4. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

Al's a great guy with a great product. My problems with Quantum and Fuji were concerning the S-2's I had. At the time Quantum recommended the Battery 1+ and it was later attributed to the demise of 2 of my S-2's. Quantum said no and Fuji said yes. Anyway i ended up with 2 dead S-2's and four Battery 1+'s that I will never use again. Really for that matter I'll never buy another Quantum product. Just my thoughts and you can never be too careful. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com:cool: