SB800 Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vettenut, May 2, 2007.

1. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    I recently purchased an SB800 and I want to power it with an external power pack. I have an old Perma -Pak (Imported at one time by Mamiya, I believe) that I used with a Minolta 5400xi Flash. It is a rechargeable Lead Acid battery that outputs 6 Volts DC. I charged it up and it works fine with my Minolta Flash. I noticed a Quantum Flash adapter cable for the SB800 that has an RCA type connector on the end of it that would mate perfectly with my battery pack. I would think it would work fine, the Minolta flash spec was 6 V @ 7 Watts. Any opinions? (Although I prefer facts):biggrin: - Jeff

2. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

You might do a search for "black box". I had many problems concerning Quantum and Fuji and ended up having to have 2 Fuji's factory repaired because of the Quantum battery. Al Jacobson came to the rescue with reasonably priced re-chargeable battery packs that virtually guarantee 1000 flashes per charge. bsvirginian

3. vettenut

vettenut

Feb 27, 2006
    Tolland CT
    Hi Bob, I actually got the Quantum Flash Cable from his web site, he provides P/N's for the cables themselves because he does not supply them with his "Black Box" he will however modify the cable to change the connector type if so desired. I figured why buy a "Black Box" is I already have an existing battery pack. I would definately buy his product without question if I didn't already have one. Just a bit nervous in just hooking it up to the flash unit and hoping for the best although I fell 90% certain it would work fine, it's that 10% of uncertainty that worries me. - Jeff

4. bob swanson

bob swanson Guest

Al's a great guy with a great product. My problems with Quantum and Fuji were concerning the S-2's I had. At the time Quantum recommended the Battery 1+ and it was later attributed to the demise of 2 of my S-2's. Quantum said no and Fuji said yes. Anyway i ended up with 2 dead S-2's and four Battery 1+'s that I will never use again. Really for that matter I'll never buy another Quantum product. Just my thoughts and you can never be too careful. www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com:cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.