sb800 vs sb600

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by confused, May 20, 2005.

1. Okay first, I am really sorry if this has been started before. If it has please just post the link so I can go view it. Not sure if this was the right place but I thought it was most appropriate here.

The sb800 vs the sb600....maybe you can't compare them but what are the pros and cons of both? I have never bought a flash before (I have always used the n75's built in flash and the d70's built in flash) but say in the future I was going to buy a flash. What would be the way to go as far as flashes? I just want some feedback about both.
    Thanks!!!! :D

2. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Well, obviously, the SB600 is of lower guide number (less power).

But the main thing is that the SB800:
    1) can only be used in remote mode in wireless iTTL
    2) it doesn't come with the diffusion dome like the SB800 - although you can purchase it seperately, it narrows the price margin.

If you're using the N75, it doesn't support CLS (creative lighting system) so #1 is kinda moot, though you may want it if you upgrade later.

3. If it helps, i first got the SB 600 and i latter kick myself in the butt so i had to go out and buy the SB800. I've learned to wait and save and not to settle for 2nd best like i did with the SB 600 not that it's a bad flash, it very good, but i ended up needing the extra output.

4. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Raul, that's my advise when people ask me. The SB800 is definately better than the SB600 IMHO.

But with a film camera, the only thing you'll notice between these two is the power, as the other features don't apply.

Depends on your digital outlook.

5. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    SB800.....
    Can work as a master in Nikon's CLS.
    Has more power.
    SU-4 mode where it can be used as a slave with manual settings.
    Comes with diffusion dome and a few gels to match ambient light.

The SB800 is the one I suggest for the first flash.

6. If you want to ever use i-TTL (Nikon's creative light system) you will need at least two flash units. One will have to be a SB800 to operate as the command unit, the other flash or flashes could either be another SB800 or SB600. If you plan to only have one flash, you need only the SB600, although it has less power than the SB800, it is a good flash. If you decide to enter in the iTTL world, you will need to get at least the SB800. I wanted to use my camera with wireless flash and got one of each. They are a delight to use.

Good luck and enjoy, Bill

7. Thanks all for your advice. I guess this is the third thing in line for me to buy after the other two lenses I want. I will be going with the SB800 since you guys seem to think so highly of it! Thanks again!

8. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    i-TTL and CLS are related but not the same thing.

i-TTL is flash metering.

CLS is how it controls multiple flashes to achieve that metering.

9. phranc

phranc

Apr 30, 2005
    Central Texas
    Can the on board flash trigger the SB600 remotely or do you need the SB800?

10. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The D70 on board flash can control only one group of remotes, 600 or 800. With the 800 you can control 3 individual groups plus use the 800 as well.

Charles

11. I have the SB-800 and I have a question since I have the D2X, could someone tell me which catagory does the D2X qualify in on page 14 of the manual so I know where to go from here. Also, I am having problems setting the ISO on it. I did what the instructions said but in the menu on ISO it gives me several choices but not setting the ISO. Such as Off, Master, Master (RPT) Remote and Su-4. I don't need them. I need to set the ISO. What am I doing wrong everyone?

Thanks for the help,

12. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Im my copy of the manual, page 14 lists Icons on the LCD panel.

But if your asking what I think you're asking, the D2x is in the group that supports iTTL (along with the D2h and D70).

As far as setting ISO - that's done through the camera and not the flash. The flash picks up whatever ISO the camera is set at automatically - i.e., you do nothing more than connect the flash to the camera (or have it in remote mode and the master takes care of it).