1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB800 Won't Commander if Corded Off-Camera?

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by jhelms, Aug 14, 2009.

1. jhelms

jhelms

Sep 25, 2008
    Columbus, GA
    Will the SB800 serve as a commander if you have it attached via cord off-camera?

I was messing around last night and couldn't get it to work that way, but I only had a minute so couldn't experiment with settings too much.

I regularly use it as a commander when on camera.

2. ArtScott

ArtScott

Jul 11, 2009
    WICHITA, KS
    Does your cable have the same amount of contact points as your camera hot shoe and the foot of the sb800???
    If not then it probably wo't commander.

3. jhelms

jhelms

Sep 25, 2008
    Columbus, GA

Hmm... good point, I haven't even thought to check that. I have an off-brand version of the SC-28 cord (non infra-red focus help window thing) :) 

4. WayneF

WayneF

Apr 3, 2006
    Texas
    The hot shoe extension cords like the Nikon SC-28 will allow the SB-800 to be commander. The PC sync cords will not.

5. 951porsche

951porsche

Feb 7, 2009
    Chicago
    sounds like a cord problem, the cord should allow full communication between the body and flash.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.