1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SB900 Illumination Pattern Comparison

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by avyoung, Aug 22, 2008.

1. avyoung

avyoung

Dec 17, 2007
    Canada
    The SB900 has three different beam illumination patterns: Standard, Even, and Center-weighted illumination. I have read comments that the bulb-to-reflector and bulb-to-lens distances are manipulated independantly to yield different beam patterns.

I used a D300 with a Sigma 10-20 lens set to 12mm/F8.0, 5ft from a bare wall. A SB900 on camera was manually zoomed to 12mm, 50mm, 85mm and 200mm (note that flash was limited to 16mm with Even illumination; and also could not zoom past 85mm in Center-weighted illumination).

2785512563_d70c4344be_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I haven't drawn any conclusions from this initial analysis. I think I need to compare more zoom samples. Please chime in and make suggestions and requests on future analysis.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2008
  2. Alan,

Thanks for doing this. I’m been thinking about the illumination patterns and trying to figure out what Nikon’s intent was.

It seems like they’d only be useful in a direct flash mode. If I going to use a flash as a direct light off-camera, I’m more likely to use some from of modifier like a snoot, grid, softbox or umbrella.

The only time I use direct flash on-camera is outside in bright sun. Perhaps I’d use it there. Otherwise when I’m inside, I’m more likely to bounce the light off of a wall or ceiling and I’m not sure I understand how it would be useful in that situation. Any ideas?

Thanks.

3. rampal

rampal

May 4, 2008
    @Newbury, UK
    I've been trying to play with it by just popping it on a wall and didn't draw any conclusion either... perhaps we need to analyse the direct impact on the shadows created on the subject, which i didn't yet... anyway, Alan, thanks for this! I thought I was alone... :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.