sb900 overheating problems

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by hellogan, Sep 25, 2008.

1. hellogan

hellogan

Nov 26, 2007
    Chicago
    been using a fuji s5, sb900 and the new gary fong wail tail and the flash keeps over heating and shutting down.

flash is being used at TTL EV +/- 0

has anyone else been having this problem?
    what have you done?

2. hellogan

hellogan

Nov 26, 2007
    Chicago
    bump for help

3. hellogan

hellogan

Nov 26, 2007
    Chicago
    double bump for double help?

4. mattsteg

mattsteg

Aug 10, 2007
    MN
    Without you sharing how fast you're shooting, at what ISO/aperture, how far away the subject is, how many shots before it overheats, and how the photos look I can't see how anyone could offer much in the way of useful help.

Maybe the flash is faulty? Maybe you're just stressing it to the point of overheating? Without more details it's impossible to say.

5. I only have 800's but those Fong inventions seem to be like fishing lures - designed to catch the fisherman . They waste tons of power and don't seem to do much more than what normal bounce and the white card can do . If you use it like that outdoors it will just waste power . Indoors , well maybe a little more power than plain bounce .
    I have heard of people frying their 800's so maybe you are lucky the 900 has built in protection .
    It sounds like your only solution is an extra flash or no "fong dong"

6. fong dong i dont like the sound of that...

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  7. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    if your dead set on using the fong. set your iso at 400. flash will be used up considerably less... maybe open up a stop on your aperture (if you can)... but finally, you can turn that failsafe off if you're feeling lucky.

8. It seems to be the nickname people give the large Fong accessories they use on their flashes .

9. Yea thats what worries me lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.