SB900 stuck on D90 Hotshoe

I was shooting with my D90 and SB900 flash earlier today, and when I tried to take it off it wouldn't budge. I've unlocked the flash and have tried wiggling and pulling it out, and have gotten it to come out a little bit but it is still stuck. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

Thanks, sent him a PM. I called Nikon thinking that I could drive to their El Segundo service center today, but they are only open on weekdays. They also told me that this would not be covered under warranty.

Real Name
Jake Ebersole
Thanks, sent him a PM. I called Nikon thinking that I could drive to their El Segundo service center today, but they are only open on weekdays. They also told me that this would not be covered under warranty.

Good luck! I've never had to contact Nikon for anything so I don't know the ins and outs. Hopefully you get this fixed.

I was shooting with my D90 and SB900 flash earlier today, and when I tried to take it off it wouldn't budge. I've unlocked the flash and have tried wiggling and pulling it out, and have gotten it to come out a little bit but it is still stuck. Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions? Thanks in advance

I just had this exact problem with my 900 on my D3. I sent the flash to Nikon in Melville and they replaced the foot on the flash. I sure hope this was a fluke and I don't have a repeat. I don't use my flash a great deal and it upset me that it happened with such little use. The positive side is that even without proof of warranty they did not charge me a dime. My only cost was to get it there.

I just had this exact problem with my 900 on my D3. I sent the flash to Nikon in Melville and they replaced the foot on the flash. I sure hope this was a fluke and I don't have a repeat. I don't use my flash a great deal and it upset me that it happened with such little use. The positive side is that even without proof of warranty they did not charge me a dime. My only cost was to get it there.

Thanks for the response. I hope I don't get charged for it when I take it to Nikon in El Segundo. Does anyone know if this is a common problem on 900s? I have 2 of them, so I hope it's just a fluke as well.

I have one SB-900 that does go on the D90's hot shoe at times, and I haven't had this problem. The SB-900 does have a larger flash mount but it hasn't caused problems for me.

Is it possible that while the flash was mounted, the camera and flash got bent / pressed upon and that caused the metal flash mount to bend inside the hot shoe?

I have one SB-900 that does go on the D90's hot shoe at times, and I haven't had this problem. The SB-900 does have a larger flash mount but it hasn't caused problems for me.

Is it possible that while the flash was mounted, the camera and flash got bent / pressed upon and that caused the metal flash mount to bend inside the hot shoe?

I'm not sure. I've been using this combination for about a year, using the flash on-camera almost as often as I used the camera. After shooting the other night, I wasn't able to get the flash off. It would seem like a significant amount of force would be needed to be able to bend the shoe mount, so I don't think it's the mount. I am able to slide the 900 out just a bit before it stops, so I am thinking that the 900's lock pin must have not disengaged fully and got slightly bent when trying to remove it, which is preventing it from sliding out.

You mentioned you've already tried wiggling. So I presume, but figure I'd mention just in case, that you've tried putting the flash back into the "correct" position, and then locking/unlocking the pin to see if it'll retract back into the flash?

Finally, the pin can be pushed back into the flash even when in the "locked" position (which simply drops it down -- there's a spring somewhere that pushes it down). Unfortunately I can't think of anything firm enough and thin enough to try to slide in there to help encourage it to retract. Maybe a razor blade tip but that gets dicey.

Mine was a problem that the switch would not retract the pin. And I can't think of a way to retract the pin while the flash is on the hotshoe...at least I didn't see one when it happened to me. Send it back to Nikon and maybe they will replace the foot as they did with mine. And I can't see the foot being larger on the 900 since it will fit all the other bodies.

You mentioned you've already tried wiggling. So I presume, but figure I'd mention just in case, that you've tried putting the flash back into the "correct" position, and then locking/unlocking the pin to see if it'll retract back into the flash?

Finally, the pin can be pushed back into the flash even when in the "locked" position (which simply drops it down -- there's a spring somewhere that pushes it down). Unfortunately I can't think of anything firm enough and thin enough to try to slide in there to help encourage it to retract. Maybe a razor blade tip but that gets dicey.

Yup, I've tried locking and unlocking the pin, but it seems to still be in the down position. I also tried looking for something thin enough to slide in, but it would have to be very thin to reach that far into the hotshoe.

Mine was a problem that the switch would not retract the pin. And I can't think of a way to retract the pin while the flash is on the hotshoe...at least I didn't see one when it happened to me. Send it back to Nikon and maybe they will replace the foot as they did with mine. And I can't see the foot being larger on the 900 since it will fit all the other bodies.

I've read that the 900 has a slightly thicker foot because of play in previous flashes. Also, it doesn't fit in certain cold-shoes. I'll be taking the camera and flash to Nikon this Friday as I need to use the flash off-camera next week. Thanks for the responses.

Yup, I've tried locking and unlocking the pin, but it seems to still be in the down position. I also tried looking for something thin enough to slide in, but it would have to be very thin to reach that far into the hotshoe.

Yes, when mine broke the pin would not move with the switch at all.

I've read that the 900 has a slightly thicker foot because of play in previous flashes. Also, it doesn't fit in certain cold-shoes. I'll be taking the camera and flash to Nikon this Friday as I need to use the flash off-camera next week. Thanks for the responses.

Ahhh, I was thinking the square size, not the thickness. I hope they have not made a mistake with this and it is causing the problems.

Just dropped off the camera and flash at Nikon in El Segundo. It was my first time bringing equipment to Nikon, and I thought I was going to get an estimate right away but I have to wait for an email to approve the repair.

Edit: Nikon just emailed me the estimate. The cost for repair is $64.96 for the D90 and $71.00 for the SB-900! :eek::mad:

Just dropped off the camera and flash at Nikon in El Segundo. It was my first time bringing equipment to Nikon, and I thought I was going to get an estimate right away but I have to wait for an email to approve the repair.

Edit: Nikon just emailed me the estimate. The cost for repair is $64.96 for the D90 and $71.00 for the SB-900! :eek::mad:

WOW...looks like they are replacing parts on both.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it isn't covered under their warranty, and I've read a few other cases where flashes have gotten stuck on the hotshoe. I'm guessing the bottom half of the flash and the top panel of the camera are being replaced if they are charging me that much.

I didn't know what a feeler gauge was but I'll make sure to try that if this happens again.

Yeah, I'm not sure why it isn't covered under their warranty...

Why don't you ask them? This thread has had 346 views. Tell them there are several hundred Nikon owners on the Nikon Cafe waiting to hear their answer.

You might also call in and escalate to a supervisor. If both components are in warranty, I can't imagine them charging you. :Angry:

Latest threads

Top Bottom