SC 28 workaround

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by the_traveler, Aug 6, 2007.

1. I have been using my SB 800 as a remote on a stand with my D200 in Commander mode and in on-camera flash turned down to EC -4.

Is this a workable alternative to putting out $70+ for an SC-28?

2. SC-17. I just bought one from another member for $31 total including P&H. I think there are a couple still in the "For Sale" section.

Of course the best alternative is still the SU-800:Smart:

Geno still has one here

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Doesn't the D200 have the same capacity built-in as the SU800 provides?

4. Yes but it uses a series of distracting pre-flashes to control the output of the other remote units. The debate of using the D200's commander mode or the SB800's commander mode vs the SU800 has been discussed here many, many times and the SU800 comes out on top every time.

Why would you even worry about a cord if you can use one of the wireless options?

5. that was my original question.

6. Mostly to avoid the pre-flashes and conserve battery usage.

7. Well, if you use iTTL, you're still going to get pre-flashes. Nikon's flash system uses a series of pre-flashes to communicate with a wireless remote slave with regards to things like flash compensation, etc.

However, even a single speedlight will send out a series of pre-flashes to measure scene reflectivity before the exposure so the camera can decide how much flash duration to use for proper exposure. Unlike Nikon's film cameras, the digital cameras don't do any TTL flash metering during exposure. Flash metering for the DSLR series, or at least all the DSLRs I'm familiar with, is is only performed just before the shutter opens using pre-flashes.

If you are in a situation where pre-flashes are a problem you can either use FV lock, which lets you manually fire the pre-flashes well ahead of the main exposure (to cope with subject blinking) or you can use one of the Non-TTL modes which don't rely on pre-flashes for determining flash exposure, like AA or manual.:smile:

8. I was just talking about the one's that get sent out when the SLR communicates with the remote flashes

9. mkawa

mkawa

Apr 25, 2007
    San Diego, CA