SC28 or SC29 with SB400 Flash and D40

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Hammster, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Hammster

Hammster

Apr 24, 2007
    San Diego, Ca.
    Hello all.
    DW presented me with an SB400 flash on my birthday to go with my D40. I'm a happy guy! :biggrin:
    I know this can't be used off camera unless connected via a cord. Or maybe it can go cordless with an SU800 commander and SU4 slave, but that's another topic.
    I'm interested in knowing if anyone has any experience with the SB400 and either the SC28 or SC29 cord. Will the 400 work with either of these on the D40? Nikon's site is so hard to find any sort of FAQ information on questions like these, so I'm hoping the gurus here will have some experience to share.
    Thanks in advance. :smile:

2. voider

voider

Nov 11, 2005
    Hamburg, Germany
    No experience in it but it should work. The SC29 gives you additional focus assist light in which you can focus in complete darkness. Really nice feature

3. Hammster

Hammster

Apr 24, 2007
    San Diego, Ca.

I saw the added feature of the focus assist light and it's only a few dollars more. So, I'd probably go that route if it does indeed work as I think it should.

4. randyr5

randyr5

Jan 14, 2006
    Michigan
    I don't think that the SC-29's AF illuminator will work with the SB-400. The SC-29 has 2 extra pins that make contact on the front of the SB-600 and SB-800 that basically tell the camera to use the SC-29's AF instead of the the flash AF. The SB-400 does not have these contacts.

I believe the SC-29 will still work as an off-camera cord for the SB-400, so you might want to get one anyway if you plan on getting an SB-600 or 800 in the future. If not, save some money and get an SC-28 or a used SC-17.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  5. rsmithgi

rsmithgi Guest

Don't forget that an SC17 can be gotten used.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.