Scale and Perspective

Despite the many times I've been on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., I've never noticed this particular view of the Capitol.

Normally on a drop dead beautiful spring Sunday afternoon such as on this day, there would be lots and lots of people. Not so during the coronavirus crisis.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Despite the many times I've been on the National Mall in Washington, D.C., I've never noticed this particular view of the Capitol.

Normally on a drop dead beautiful spring Sunday afternoon such as on this day, there would be lots and lots of people. Not so during the coronavirus crisis.

View attachment 1661190
Really nice shot, but I have to ask, why, when as of right now, we in this area are still under pretty strict restrictions, were you even downtown in the first place?

As one who is in the "vulnerable" population at age 75, I am one who is taking all the warnings and precautions really seriously and in fact in the last two -- almost three now! -- months have not gone more than a mile from my home, and when doing that it has only been for absolutely essential purposes (i.e., grocery shopping). It has really discomfited me reading or hearing about people who, in spite of current restrictions in place, seem to disregard that and go running around to wherever they darn well please, joyfully and casually gadding off to where they want, regardless of location and policies laid in place in that location....

Yes, let's all hope that restrictions are lifted soon! Even at that I am not going to be venturing too far from home for a long, long time anyway.....

And, yes, Mike, I realize you weren't among the throngs at one of the VA/MD/DE/NJ beaches this weekend, which is an even worse scenario and likely prediction for what may come in the not-so-distant future with another potentially huge wave of more illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths......and yes, another lockdown.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
why, when as of right now, we in this area are still under pretty strict restrictions, were you even downtown in the first place?
As you surely know, people in our area have been encouraged to go outside when doing so allows for social distancing, especially when also wearing masks. My wife and I did both. If you're not familiar with guidance from CDC, you might want to consider looking up that information. I suggest starting with replays of broadcasts by the likes of Dr. Birx and Dr. Fauci so you don't have to wonder if they have been quoted out of context.

As you can see from the photo, my wife and I were able to safely walk around on the mall and stay safely away from others. Moreover, we were able to assess that situation from the safety of our car. If we had determined that getting out of the car would have put others or ourselves at risk, we would have instead driven home without exiting our car.

I have to ask
Actually, no, Connie, to be frank, you didn't have to ask. You chose to ask. This is a forum dedicated to discussing photos, not your views about whether my wife and I were conducting ourselves appropriately. For the second time in about a month or so, please stop. The next time this happens, I will not give you the courtesy of mentioning it to you as I have now done. Instead, I will report your post to the moderators.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, Gary! I actually almost missed getting the keeper for a completely rookie reason: The lens and camera are new to me and I had forgotten that I had turned the VR in the lens off. Yet I was trying to shoot at shutter speeds that require it. I was fortunate to discover my mistake before leaving the scene, which was immediately after taking this photo.

Lol. Been there, done that. Like everytime.
I was out shooting a night blooming cactus last night. Playing with light painting, off camera flash, etc. I was there about 30min before I realized I had left auto iso on- so my flash images were at iso 3200. Luckily I caught it before the blooms completely opened, so only test images lost. Could have been bad.
Always something. I never make the same mistake twice, I am tooooooo busy making new ones.
Gary

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom