Scan From Vancouver Island

This is a scan from a film negative. I believe it was Vancouver Island around 1974/75. Remarkably heavy grain.
VCISLAND web.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A wonderful scene for b&w!
If I understand correctly, you digitised this with your Z6?
Very good result!

Any idea what film you used?
Should be on the negative.

A wonderful scene for b&w!
If I understand correctly, you digitised this with your Z6?
Very good result!

Any idea what film you used?
Should be on the negative.
Yes the Z6 with the ES-2 Adapter on a 60mm Micro G lens. The film was Kodak Pan-X so I'm a bit surprised at the grain. I know I developed it myself so that may have contributed to it.

I believe I was using good amateur quality lenses (50 1.8D, 35 1.8D(?), and the old 85 1.8) but compared to modern optics and digital processing, the images simply weren't as sharp or detailed, and the slides certainly had a definite color signature. I can tell as soon as the image comes up on the screen which ones were shot with the 85 which is clearly the sharpest lens I used.

If you had showed me back in '74 the quality, consistency and color accuracy of the travel images I get now, it would have seemed truly magical. I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon (which I am) but I simply don't get the internet angst when the 100 corner pixels aren't pin sharp or the wailing when the camera focuses on the fourth and not the fifth eyelash from the left.

Yes the Z6 with the ES-2 Adapter on a 60mm Micro G lens. The film was Kodak Pan-X so I'm a bit surprised at the grain. I know I developed it myself so that may have contributed to it.

I believe I was using good amateur quality lenses (50 1.8D, 35 1.8D(?), and the old 85 1.8) but compared to modern optics and digital processing, the images simply weren't as sharp or detailed, and the slides certainly had a definite color signature. I can tell as soon as the image comes up on the screen which ones were shot with the 85 which is clearly the sharpest lens I used.

If you had showed me back in '74 the quality, consistency and color accuracy of the travel images I get now, it would have seemed truly magical. I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon (which I am) but I simply don't get the internet angst when the 100 corner pixels aren't pin sharp or the wailing when the camera focuses on the fourth and not the fifth eyelash from the left.

Thanks.
I couldn't agree more on your view of the lack of importance for the ultimate technical perfection of the image.
Although I can see why for some people that might be important, like for product images.
For me it's still all about the feel and the mood of an image. Or the message of course but images with a message are rather out of my league :)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom