1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Scan Scam?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Three times in the last 24 hours, when starting Firefox, this window pops up:

386919476_hvnSr-O.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

It looks like a scam to me, as I have the latest version of Symantec antivirus installed. I kill the popup, of course, then Firefox opens to a window that shows a progress bar for a scan running. I kill Firefox and restart it again, and it starts normally.

Has anyone else seen this? How do I get rid of this pest?

2. I've never seen this message and use Firefox all the time.

3. Oh ya...... No question.. Clicking on it will probably infect your PC with a host of other spyware as well!

That is considered Spyware, Adware, Malware, etc.. I am not aware of any free things to clean it up, other than possibly a program called HiJackThis, which can be gotten here:

http://www.download.com/Trend-Micro-HijackThis/3000-8022_4-10227353.html

It will allow you to scan the items that run on startup and remove them. You do have to be careful not to delete something that is needed for startup. When in question, Google the name and will find information on what program is calling it and you can determine if it is a valid program for your PC.

Most programs will show you it found a problem but you have to buy the program to remove the infestation.

Other than that.... Personally, I bought SpySweeper, PC Tools Spyware Doctor and ESET's NOD32.

I have not seen anything that those 3 tools together (or alone) will not remove.

4. You've either got a virus already, or more likely some form of adware/malware installed that's causing that popup. I can promise you that if you click OK to scan your computer, it will "find" a bunch of stuff that needs to be removed, and will tell you to download and install their software. Doing that will flood your computer with spyware, adware, and possibly even more viruses. First thing you need to do is try a different program, since your current one missed this, and allowed it to be installed in the first place. I recommend a couple free programs like Ad-Aware by www.lavasoft.de Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware http://www.download.com/Malwarebyte...022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10878968 and AVG anti-virus http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus/3000-2239_4-10385707.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10824764

5. Thanks for the replies.

Of course I know better than to click "OK" to this.

I am trying various antivirus, spyware, and malware procedures now.

6. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA

My Kids got this one on my computer a few months back the Malwarebyte's Anti-Malware suggestion should kill it.

Dan

7. Symantec antivirus :Teeth:

Dump em. Avast or AVG...both free and much better.

try to run a Google search to a page you have in your favorites. If you are redirected, you are infected.

8. cooldad

cooldad

May 11, 2008
    North Carolina
    I second AVG. If you google avg free, you can find it. The latest version comes with antivirus and antispyware. I've been running it for years and haven't had any problems. I also use Lavasoft's AdAware and Safer-Networking's Spybot Search and Destroy. Both free, I just have them and update definitions every couple of months and run them manually. They haven't come up with anything alarming, just the usual tracking cookies, etc..

9. Good stuff. I use to run AVG but the new version is quite large and bloated, thus the move to AVAST. So far so good. Spybot is a good one, also Spyware Terminator.

10. reyv

reyv

Apr 7, 2006
    SF Bay Area, CA
    This is a typical scareware that adware and spyware uses. I had to cleanup my girlfriend's dad's laptop last week after someone using it agreed to one of these.

11. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    I would go to the Kaspersky website and try their 'Online' free virus removal service. I had a very pesky virus once despite having and I tried several online virus removing applications but none worked. Finally someone suggested Kaspersky. You can also try out Kaspersky free for one month. Kasperky and NOD32 are 2 of the best AV software IMHO. Kaspersky may be a bit more resource hungry than NOD32 but gets updates almost every hour silently behind the scenes and does not impact your normal work at all.

12. Update:

Following the advice on the Virginia Tech computer security web site, I installed and ran Windows Defender, Symantec Endpoint Protection, and Spybot Search and Destroy. Between the three of them, many malware pests have been removed, and the computer runs much faster.

And even though I haven't had a recurrence, I have no way to be sure that I have removed the original offender.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2008
  13. Jim,
    I hope you turned off system restore before running your scans.
    The infection can come back If you have system restore turned on.

Warning: Doing this will delete all restore points on your computer.

If you're sure your computer is good and clean and system restore was turned on, turn off system restore and turn it back on.

Then create a new restore point.

MikeT

14. FWIW Microsoft and the State of Washington's Attorney General are going after these kinds of outfits.

http://www.atg.wa.gov/pressrelease.aspx?&id=3770

Microsoft is apparently also working with other states as well.

Nice to have the 800-lb gorilla on our side!!

I'll second the suggestions for AVG AV. Excellent product. Also using the UAC in Vista pretty much eliminates these threats as well as things can't run without an explicit OK from you (a process that is the main reason our Apple friends are so smug).

Cheers!!

Ken

Oops, I forgot ... MS never does anything positive, right?

15. KG72

KG72 Guest

Do a scan with Malware-Bytes AntiMalware(MBAM). Myself along with others work close with the author of this program and I can vouch for its effectiveness in killing off these Rogue infections as well as other nasties. I can pretty much guarantee there is still stuff on your system the scans you have done did not clean or even detect.

As for me... I'm an Admin/Mod at several forums where people volunteer their time to help others remove infections from their computers. Been doing it for 6+ years now.

16. Thanks for all the advice, folks. I am now confident that I have removed the "onlineprivatescan" malware.

Now a new problem has arisen. Something seems to be blocking incoming e-mail from my e-mail client, Eudora. I suspect it is one of these newly installed security programs, but I don't know which.

Eudora keeps displaying the message: Error reading from network. Cause: connection aborted due to timeout or other failure (10053).

My wife also uses Eudora on a different computer connected to the same router, and she is not getting this problem. I have no other internet connection problems.

17. KG72

KG72 Guest

First guess would be something within Symantec Endpoint Protection blocking it.

Windows Defender and Spybot don't do much in the way of interacting with email clients.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.