1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Scanner Decision

Discussion in 'Printers, Monitors, and Color Management' started by R.Lee, Jun 20, 2007.

1. I have decided I need a scanner to copy film and slides to digital. As a review site said, it is better to get a good flat bed scanner than one strictly limited to film. Then you can continue to use it after the film is copied. That is assuming you have a very capable flat bed scanner. photo-i.co.uk recommended the Epson V700 or the Epson V750-M. Does anyone have experience with either of these or can you make a recommendation?

2. Lee I currently have an Epson 4490 flatbed and a Nikon Coolscan V film scanner. Both are very capable and do a fine job. That being said if I had to do it over again I would instead buy either of the two scanners that you mentioned. The images I have seen from a V700 looked every bit as good as those from my dedicated film scanner. Whatever scanner you choose just make sure it has a d-max of at least 4.0.

3. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I am to looking at a scanner for some older negatives and some actual prints. I'm wanting to dabble in some photo restoration. I'm also looking at the epson 700 i'm not sure if the silverfast software or coating is worth the extra for the 750.

larry

4. Thanks, Ray. The scans I have seen from the V700 do look good. Nearly as good as a drum scan, with a slight improvement in the V750 when using the fluid mount accessory.

There are settings in both of these scanners to do some scratch and color correction, Larry. One review site I read said to save the initial money and buy the V700, but then get the Silverfast full version separately. Another said to go ahead and buy the V750 just to get the advanced version of Silverfast.

Another scanner mentioned often is the Canon CanoScan 9950F. While it has had good mentions in the various forums, I haven't found an independent review of it posted anywhere.

5. Bennettskaya

Bennettskaya

Jan 13, 2006
    Edinburgh
  6. Thanks, David. I had looked on that site for the Epson reviews, but I missed the 9950F review. Vincent does good work evaluating printers and associated hardware, and creating useful reviews.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.