1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

scanner ideas

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by urbanek2, Jun 5, 2007.

1. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    Interested in buying a scanner for digitizing old family photos. Any suggestions? Mostly have prints. Any suggestions on software for the scanner?

Thanks

Dave

2. I picked up an Epson 4990 Pro flatbed last year. The "pro" version came with Monaco EZ Color for scanner/printer calibration (and monitor if you get the puck somewhere), and Silverfast AI scanning software. The normal Epson scanner software isn't bad for simple scans either. It comes with a slew of negative holders for 35mm strips, slides, 4x5 negs, 120/220 strips, and 8x10 sheet films. I've done a little bit of all of those with reasonable success. I have trouble with some slides and older negs, but overall it hasn't been bad.

Here are some samples, click for larger sizes:

9x9 negative, cropped slightly due to scanner bed size
    p497427741-3.

9x9 B&W negative, cropped for content
    View attachment 99134

645 B&W Negative
    p714089941-3.

Old print, about 3"x4"
    [​IMG]

Deteriorating Ektachrome slide from 1976
    View attachment 99135

3. I'm very pleased with Silverfast AI. I have it for both my flatbed and film scanners. It is the best I have found for scanning color negatives.

4. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Epson 4990

I have been very pleased with my Epson 4990.

5. urbanek2

urbanek2

Apr 29, 2006
    scanner

Thanks

Dave

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.