Scanning family slides

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Vienna Pics, Nov 23, 2005.

1. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Hello,

I presume several forum members have already experimented and figured out how to scan a large number of slides. My family has about 2,600 slides that I would like to digitize. I would like to bulk scan them - one at a time sure kills personal time when you could load of 50 or 100 at a time and let the scanner do it's job. I have them in circular carousels.

Does anyone have a good experience in doing this - would be interested in the equipment used as I have none at this time.

Thanks - Mark

2. Why not just photograph them with your digital SLR?

If you go to my link below and look at the architecture section, the pictures of the Miami Beach hotels were slides that I shot on a light table with a D100 on a tripod.

If you invest a few minutes building a crude fixture, put your camera on a tripod, hook up the camera to your computer via Nikon Capture you could probably knock out that stack of work in record time.

Works for me.

Woody

3. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Nikon Slide Scanner

I use a Nikon Slide Scanner with the Nikon SF-200 auto feeder. You can load 50 slides at a time and automate the process. Not inexpensive but very effective.

4. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Woody, Thank you for your suggestion.

General, Have you had any feeding problems with the SF-200 feeder? Any suggestions on where to look for a set up?

Thanks - Mark

5. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I was thinking recently about how to do it also.. I was wondering if anyone is using a slide copier on their D70?
    I have a 105 macro, has anyone connected one of those copiers to it and used a SB800 to copy slides?
    How well did it work?

6. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Mark,

Yes, the Nikon slide feeder is particular about what it eats. It does great with most slides but warped, thick, other than standard slide mounts give it difficulty.

7. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I've considered a couple of companies on the web that do bulk scanning on Nikon slide scanners. Send them your slides, they return them and a DVD-ROM(s) with the images in whatever format you want. Since I've given up on shooting film the thought of buying a scanner (not to mention the time spent scanning) is not particularly appealing to me.

If I decide to do it I'll report back here on my experience.