1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Scanning Film

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by JustinD, Jun 28, 2008.

1. I shot my first roll of film with the Nikon F over the last 36 hours or so and picked up an Epson V500.

I now have to take the shot roll of film to a lab (Walgreen's is OK right?) and have them make negatives to scan or can I scan the film? :confused:  Don't laugh...my experience with film is what you might call non-existent.

Thanks

2. Justin,

Is it slide film or print film?

Sean

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    So that's it! You came back for the camera you won! :biggrin:

It all depends on what kind of film you shot. If it was color negative (or chromogenic type B&W) film that is developed by process C-41, then yes. Just take it to Walgreens. They will develop it and probably make 4x6 prints. If you ask them to, they will make a CD with medium resolution scans on it as well. I think the CD costs about $2 or $3 extra.

But since you got an Epson scanner, you can make high resolution scans yourself. But in any event, the film must be developed first!

If you shot slide film, or 'regular' black and white film, getting it developed may be a bit more involved.

I'm anxious to see what you did!

4. All right. Thanks

It was Kodak Max 400 color print film.

So I gotta get it developed huh? Looks like I'm walking up to Walgreens then!

5. mhcfires

mhcfires

Aug 23, 2007
    El Cajon, CA
    Back in the states? Welcome home! We are eagerly awaiting the results from your new camera.

6. Yes, Justin it take to Walgreen's or CVS - should run about $2.50. Don't forget to tell them to develop the film only! By the way if you want help scanning you can pm me. If you want I can give you my phone number since we're in the same time zone and I would be glad to be of assistance. Scanning is easy. It can just appear to be intimidating at first. Looking forward to seeing your film images!

7. Thanks for the welcome back - I'm eagerly awaiting the results as well. It's weird not knowing how the shots turned out milliseconds after pressing the shutter :biggrin:

Thanks, Ray, and there's a very good chance I may be taking you up on that. If I manage to get the scanner to work on the first time it'd be a first for anything computer related. Frustration is the rule with me and computer type stuff.

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    (Shhh! Just between you and me - that's the really cool thing about film, and basically why we do it. Just like in Star Wars - "Use the Force, Luke!" The wait is the blindfold, and where the magic happens.)

Good luck with the pix!

9. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Got any pix yet??? (Curious eyes wanna see!)

10. I just dropped the roll off...should be ready by tomorrow!

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Tomorrow!!?? One hour is where it's at! Instant feedback! It's almost like digi ... :redface:

Nevermind.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.