Scanning Film

I shot my first roll of film with the Nikon F over the last 36 hours or so and picked up an Epson V500.

I now have to take the shot roll of film to a lab (Walgreen's is OK right?) and have them make negatives to scan or can I scan the film? :confused: Don't laugh...my experience with film is what you might call non-existent.

Thanks

Real Name
Chris
So that's it! You came back for the camera you won! :biggrin:

It all depends on what kind of film you shot. If it was color negative (or chromogenic type B&W) film that is developed by process C-41, then yes. Just take it to Walgreens. They will develop it and probably make 4x6 prints. If you ask them to, they will make a CD with medium resolution scans on it as well. I think the CD costs about $2 or $3 extra.

But since you got an Epson scanner, you can make high resolution scans yourself. But in any event, the film must be developed first!

If you shot slide film, or 'regular' black and white film, getting it developed may be a bit more involved.

I'm anxious to see what you did!

All right. Thanks

It was Kodak Max 400 color print film.

So I gotta get it developed huh? Looks like I'm walking up to Walgreens then!

Yes, Justin it take to Walgreen's or CVS - should run about $2.50. Don't forget to tell them to develop the film only! By the way if you want help scanning you can pm me. If you want I can give you my phone number since we're in the same time zone and I would be glad to be of assistance. Scanning is easy. It can just appear to be intimidating at first. Looking forward to seeing your film images!

Back in the states? Welcome home! We are eagerly awaiting the results from your new camera.
Thanks for the welcome back - I'm eagerly awaiting the results as well. It's weird not knowing how the shots turned out milliseconds after pressing the shutter :biggrin:

Yes, Justin it take to Walgreen's or CVS - should run about $2.50. Don't forget to tell them to develop the film only! By the way if you want help scanning you can pm me. If you want I can give you my phone number since we're in the same time zone and I would be glad to be of assistance. Scanning is easy. It can just appear to be intimidating at first. Looking forward to seeing your film images!
Thanks, Ray, and there's a very good chance I may be taking you up on that. If I manage to get the scanner to work on the first time it'd be a first for anything computer related. Frustration is the rule with me and computer type stuff.

Real Name
Chris
... It's weird not knowing how the shots turned out milliseconds after pressing the shutter :biggrin: ...
(Shhh! Just between you and me - that's the really cool thing about film, and basically why we do it. Just like in Star Wars - "Use the Force, Luke!" The wait is the blindfold, and where the magic happens.)

Good luck with the pix!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom