Scarce Swallowtail butterfly in flight.

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by Bob the Spiderman, May 25, 2007.

1. In my opinion this type of photography is as difficult as it gets. If not nigh on impossible. This is due to what I call the butterfly's 'claphands and gliding' method of taking off and flying, making it impossible to predict the direction of flight. You must only try this if you are a masochist.
    :eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:

All were taken with the Nikon f/4-5.6 70-300mm ED. Hand held/manual focus in natural light. I make absolutely no apologises whatsoever for the noise, as to take this type of picture you need very high ISO's.

The butterfly at rest.

[​IMG]

The butterfly in flight. Notice how it sticks out its' tongue.:cool::cool:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy. Bob F

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    great captures, well done

3. I have bumped this thread as I posted them during a bank holiday and people may have missed it. Also this type of photography is not seen very often.

Thanks.

Bob F

4. tojor

tojor

Jul 27, 2005
    Denmark
    I'm glad you bumped your thread. It must have been to see that you got some real good shots of a butterfly in flight. The second one is amazing. The butterfly is a beauty too. I'm sorry that we don't have these, at least to my knowledge.

5. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Sorry I missed the original posting too, Bob. These are great, but what butterfly is this? The only yellow swallowtail I've seen around here is the eastern tiger swallowtail. [I'm not even going to ask how much time and how many shots it took to get these results.:eek:]

6. It is the European Scarce Swallowtail. Iphiclides podalirius

I am glad about that as it was a very large number.:biggrin::biggrin:

Bob F.

7. Excellent captures, Bob ! You must be very pleased. So glad you decided to bump this as I missed it the first time around.

8. Good captures, Bob.

As a side note - I. podalirius is more common in Austria than Papilio machaon, or maybe I should say less scarce.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2007
  9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great butterfly flight shot. Now that is difficult

10. I think that this is true for most European countries.

Bob F.

11. Great shots Bob, I guess patience is something that you have plenty of!!
    Take it easy and thanks for the best wishes, mine go to you!!!!!!