Scarce Swallowtail butterfly in flight.

In my opinion this type of photography is as difficult as it gets. If not nigh on impossible. This is due to what I call the butterfly's 'claphands and gliding' method of taking off and flying, making it impossible to predict the direction of flight. You must only try this if you are a masochist.
:eek::eek::biggrin::biggrin:

All were taken with the Nikon f/4-5.6 70-300mm ED. Hand held/manual focus in natural light. I make absolutely no apologises whatsoever for the noise, as to take this type of picture you need very high ISO's.

The butterfly at rest.

s_s_1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The butterfly in flight. Notice how it sticks out its' tongue.:cool::cool:

s_s_2.jpg

s_s_3.jpg

s_s_4.jpg

Enjoy. Bob F

I'm glad you bumped your thread. It must have been to see that you got some real good shots of a butterfly in flight. The second one is amazing. The butterfly is a beauty too. I'm sorry that we don't have these, at least to my knowledge.

Sorry I missed the original posting too, Bob. These are great, but what butterfly is this? The only yellow swallowtail I've seen around here is the eastern tiger swallowtail. [I'm not even going to ask how much time and how many shots it took to get these results.:eek:]

Excellent captures, Bob ! You must be very pleased. So glad you decided to bump this as I missed it the first time around.

Good captures, Bob.

As a side note - I. podalirius is more common in Austria than Papilio machaon, or maybe I should say less scarce.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Great shots Bob, I guess patience is something that you have plenty of!!
Take it easy and thanks for the best wishes, mine go to you!!!!!!

Latest threads

Top Bottom