school me on the D1

Save your $100!

If you must get a D1 series, get either the D1H or D1X. The D1 was really a headache with an alpha-numeric interface. I had to memorize codes in order to adjust my settings! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a D1x and love the files it produces. However, I do miss my D300!:smile:
Skip the D1 get a D1x if you must.

"Thom Hogan has a pretty in depth review on it"

That he wrote eiight years ago in 2003! GH

It's not that I have to get one. Just that I came across one that seems to be inexpensive and clean. I was curious about it. I'll just read the Hogan review.

My humble opinion on this is not different from others. If I had to buy a D1 series camera my choice would be the D1X for its excellent files.
Consider that these are old cameras with old technologies. It was very annoying to me using the Ni-MH batteries with these cameras that required "pre-tune" and charging when near exhaustion. I found annoying carrying more than one battery when traveling.
When it comes to the quality of its files the D1X NEVER disappointed me. It always gave me beautiful colors and razor sharp results if the lens was of good quality.
I ended up giving mine away and I regret it but, how many cameras do I need? I have three already and one of them is the "modern" D300 which is very capable of producing beautiful files with its Picture Control settings.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I have been using Nikon 35mm cameras for a long time and have recently purchased a
D70s to try out digital. I am enjoying it a great deal. Then I saw a D1 at a very good price.
Since I have antique film cameras, why not an antique digital camera? I bought it only as a historical item. Sure, it is old, clunky, with out of date batteries and has a horrible menu system but to my somewhat inexperienced eyes it still takes a nice picture.
Would not want to use it to shoot a wedding but for casual use it is fun to use and serves to remind me how far digital has progressed since 1999.

The D1 is very important historically, but the D1H and D1X were way better cameras. In fact if it weren't for the batteries I'd still use a D1H. There are probably worse ways to spend a hundred bucks than a D1, but if you actually want to use it I'd hold out for a 1H or 1X.

This is a follow up to my post of June 16. I am almost sure you have not bought the camera and if so, it has been a wise decision.
From other posts, in addition to mine, the general consensus has been that if in need of one of those old cameras the D1X should be your best choice. Due to the old technology the batteries were a drag. Big, heavy batteries that required periodic charging and frequent "tune ups" to keep them going. Because of the batteries many photographers sold their cameras. I found them very annoying!
They are capable cameras though. They are professionally built and very capable of exceptional images. Because of the old technology the prices remain very affordable.
As I said in my post, I gave mine away. It is the D2H the professional camera I use more often followed by the D300. I keep a D70s that is the camera I regularly take with me in my travels because it is light and produces excellent files.
Yesterday I had a D5100 in my hands and I used it with the kit lens for snapshots during a family gathering. It is an amazing little camera and tells us how far technology has come in the past 10 years. I fell in love with its tilting back LCD and lightweight body.
If you have not made a decision yet, save your money.

William Rodriguez
Miami, Florida.

I have not purchased the body. It is actually priced at $89.00 plus tax. I will probably hold off and wait for a new D400 to be announced and hope the D300 comes down a little bit. I am not an overly prolific photographer. I have under 900 clicks on my D7000 that was purchased on the Best Buy pre release fiasco. I was curious since I knew nothing about the body. I may buy a clean used D200.

$89... never seen one that cheap! I am also holding out for the D400 release, if there will be one. :biggrin:

is it still available?

im looking for a nice body to sit on a shelf.

Im serious, if they still have it for sale, can you pm me please?

Hi I would get it, hear is one from 2001 sooc jpeg just a bit of usm in cs2.

Phil.

D1 sigma 180 f2.8 macro 1/250th @ f10 iso200

DSC_8416.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom