Scimitar - Horned Oryx

This beautiful animal has been extinct in the wild for over 30 years. This and other zoo's are going through a breeding program and re-introducing the species back to North Africa.

Horned Oryx (1).JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Horned Oryx (2).JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beautiful animal. I had never heard of it. Glad to know the species might survive.
Yes, some interesting trivia ...
"Oryx can cope for weeks without water as they are able to raise their normal body temperature of 46˚C by several more degrees to avoid sweating"

I had never heard of that animal. It's rather different from the more common wild Oryxes I saw in Namibia in 2014. The shape of the horns is slightly more curved, of course, but the coloration is totally different.

Sharp photographs.

I had never heard of that animal. It's rather different from the more common wild Oryxes I saw in Namibia in 2014. The shape of the horns is slightly more curved, of course, but the coloration is totally different.

Sharp photographs.
A new one on me West, great looking animal and happy to hear that they of the program to bring them back.
Thanks for having a look.
Doing some research, apparently Texas has the world's largest (private) herd of approximately 12K used for trophy hunting. I'm not a hunter, but this could be one of those instances where big game hunting will assure their long term survival. Oxymoron at it's finest.

Thanks for having a look.
Doing some research, apparently Texas has the world's largest (private) herd of approximately 12K used for trophy hunting. I'm not a hunter, but this could be one of those instances where big game hunting will assure their long term survival. Oxymoron at it's finest.

Big brave hunters, obviously.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom