1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Scoochi's 16th Birthday

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by gadgetguy11, Jun 17, 2007.

1. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    We adopted 3 cats from the Humane Society. Last year we had a Tree Mansion built with 3 heating pads, with hidden steps, and resting places within the tree. It weighs 350 lbs, and has capacity for 25 cats! This has become their favorite hangout.

Once a year, we celebrate each cat's birthday; they eat a special cake on the dining room table while Corinne and I sip Champagne! Here are scenes from last night's kitty bash (Nikon 17-55/2.8, D2X, SB-800, Joe Demb Flash Portrait Package):

Schoochi feasts on his 16th birthday cake

[​IMG]

After the party, Jimbo and Rusty chill from the Tree Mansion

[​IMG]

Jimbo works his way to the top of the Mansion

[​IMG]

Rusty is intimidated by the 17-55 and Joe Demb Flash, but maintains his perch on the heated tree branch.

[​IMG]

Jimbo relaxes 6" below the ceiling just below the "eyeball" light

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  2. VoidRaven

VoidRaven

Jul 13, 2006
    Lagrange, OH
    That is an incredible kitty hide-out! I'm really impressed by the workmanship and all the spots and hidey-holes. Very cool!

I love photographing my friends' cats. One cat is a total lens mooch and the other bolts as soon as I walk in the door with the camera bag.

3. Looks like cat heaven, John.:smile: I'm delighted to hear you've adopted cats that needed homes and that they bring you so much joy.

4. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks, Don!

Cats can be a real challenge. I have much more willing participants using this portrait package, because the flash no longer bothers them.

Here is the company that custom builds the mansions in Sacramento, CA:
    http://www.sittingprettykitty.com/

Jimbo's picture is on their website, lower right, 1st page. The standard Mansion height is 9 feet, made for 10 foot ceilings and higher. We had it built 7 foot 3 inches high. It is absolutely a wonderful addition to our home; the cats are in it now!

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Dave,

Shoochi, Rusty, and Jimbo - and photography - help keep Corinne and I busy since her daughter joined the NAVY. They really bring joy to our home!

Thanks for your kind words!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2007
  6. WOW! I've only seen 1 of those cat trees like that and it was on a website for bengal cats. I'd love to have a tree like that but worry about the cost of the thing! Beautiful kitties too! We rescued our Simba (tarnished silver bengal) from a shelter and our other 2 came from pet stores - and those 2 have quite a story! Don't stop sharing kitty photos either! We love em!

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Dianne,

Thank you for your kind words! The website for bengal cats you mentioned, "Sittingprettykitty.com" is where I ordered our custom tree. They now make several smaller trees that are attractively priced.

Simba is really special. I've been a "closet" Simba fan for a long time. I read every Simba post, and view all his images. The photo you posted May 2, 2006 showed his bengal stripes the best:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=71922&highlight=simba

I am glad to know we are not the only crazy people with 3 cats!! I am a parrot and dog lover; my wife is a cat lover. I own a Green Wing Macaw (24 yrs. old). My wife's love of kitties grew on me, so much that I was instrumental in adopting Rusty and Jimbo, and bought the "big house!"

I promise I'll post more photos of our 3 kitties - and maybe even an occasional image of the LOUD bird!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  8. Oh please DO post pics of that LOUD BIRDIE! We love animals PERIOD! Even hubby won't let me have a dog, I enjoy seeing everyone else's pets on this forum very much! Those trees do look a lot sturdier than the one we have! Every time Simba jumps on the thing, I think it's gonna hit the floor or worse yet, my angel collection! I took a long look at the website you posted and I have to admitt I'm impressed! They certainly have talent for showing off their creation! And thanks for the compliments on my Simba! I have yet to get a perfect photo that shows off his spots! So, keep those pics coming!:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Just to funny:>)))
    Great little house

10. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    Thanks, Gale!!

It is so much fun to watch how their "pecking order" affects where they hang out in their house. And getting to the top of the roof is for the most athletic, and only Jimbo, the young (blonde) Burmese can get there. Once he does, he makes a major production up there so the other 2 see him! He puts his nose against the ceiling, while his 2 siblings watch in amazement!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.