scored a 35mm Nikon film camera... what is it.

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by mr2monster, Aug 1, 2007.

1. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    Its got an EM on the top where the pop up flash would be on a DSLR... Appears to be fairly automatic although it's got a M90 mode and a B (Bulb I'm assuming) along with the AUTO mode. Has ASA adjustment on the left (when looking through the camera) and a few other buttons that I have no idea what they do. Manual focus, manual aperature, camera sets the shutter speed for you. Has some sort of metering dealy bopper on the inside of the view finder that shows what shutter speed you'll be shooting with the other given things set (aperture and ASA).

Got it for 20 bucks with an E series 50mm 1.8. I figure the lens is worth that...

now what is it?

2. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
  3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Looks really cool James! Next comes the fun part!

4. matthew.paul

matthew.paul Guest

$20 with that lens is a great deal. Manual focus film cameras are a great break from DSLR's.

Load it with some film and show us the results! If you have a Costco card, I think they give you the best scans...$3 for development and 6Megapixel scans.

5. mr2monster

mr2monster

Jun 29, 2007
    Arizona
    just bought some ISO800 from walgreens (all they had)... just to click. I've never owned a film camera before! it's so exciting!!! haha...

I'll have to check out costco... that's generally where i get my digital stuff printed.

6. My first Nikon was an EM. My father new someone at Nikon who gave me a deal. I loved that camera. There was a TV commercial for it and the tag line was "The camera that goes beep beep." By today's standard it is not sofisticated but back then.........it was not that sofisticated. I used it as a base to build my Nikon collection. Good luck with it.
    Vince

7. BarryS

BarryS

Dec 12, 2006
    Narberth, PA
    Where did you find this, thrift store... flea market?

8. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi james-

my first nikon was an EM. i still have the body, but it's gathering dust, along with all my other film cameras. it's not a bad beginner's camera, but the lack of manual control of the shutter speed can limit your creativity.

enjoy the large viewfinder (compared to a nikon DSLR) and the wide FOV you get when you mount a wide angle lens. and start hunting for those cheap MF lenses that you can find for a bargain.

ricky

9. My first Nikon was an EM also. Used it a lot, never a problem. "Auto" is aperture priority. The little button on the front (silver or sometimes blue) is like a backlight compensation button, I think it ups the exposure by a stop. An EM with a 50mm or 28mm lens is small enough to fit in a big jacket pocket, and light as can be.