1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Scotland by Holga (regular & pinhole!)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by vieri, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Hello everyone, while processing my D3 shots from the trip, I thought I'd start posting some film pictures to start with - these have been shot with a Holga regular and a Holga pinhole panoramic camera during my recent trip to Scotland.

Here they come, first the Holga, all on Tri-X 400:
    [​IMG]
    Neist Point, Tri-X 400

[​IMG]
    Relic

[​IMG]
    Relic, Nr. 2

[​IMG]
    Eileen Donean Castle, a classic

[​IMG]
    Connectivity, in the middle of nowhere

[​IMG]
    Close to Loch Coruisk

[​IMG]
    Urquarth Castle, another classic

And now, some pinhole stuff, Ilford Pan-F 50:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The Hermitage Castle

More images here.

I actually think that there is a place for these cameras in one's bag - they weight just about nothing, and they offer some nice creative opportunities...

As always, C&C are very welcome!

2. These are just great!

3. I don't care for the pinholes ones, but the rest are excellent!

4. Excellent series! Looks like Dr. Who's phone booth. The "Tardis" I think?

5. AllThumz

AllThumz

Feb 24, 2009
    Albany, Oregon
    Very well done, Vieri! I really like the boats.

That has to be Dr. Who's Tardis - who else would park it in the middle of nowhere!

Regards,
    John

6. Great series of images Vieri. I like them all. I like the mood in each image and the Holga and pinhole cameras mke that mood stand out. You almost make me want to buy a new camera (pinhole especially) just to see if I can duplicate the same feel in our scenes here in Nevada. Thanks for sharing.

God Bless,
    David

7. Thanks for sharing something COMPLETELY different. Such a strange perspective compared to "the norm".

8. Thank you very much everyone, I am glad you enjoyed :biggrin: as far as the pinhole, it was my first experiment with it and I am quite pleased with the results, especially with the fact that I could get the exposure right every time; as far as the compositions, I am not completely happy with what I got especially when I tried something fancier than having the subject dead in the middle, but it's in fact very difficult to frame properly with these cameras - is complete guess work, actually :eek:  anyway, I will keep trying and see if I can get a better feel for composing with them. Thanks again! :biggrin:

9. tenorman

tenorman

Mar 5, 2009
    Maryland
    Vieri, I like your composition. The vignetting in the last two photographs are artful...I think they add to the feeling of the B&W! Thanks for posting.

10. SteveM10

SteveM10

Jun 5, 2009
    Parrish, FL
    Great shots especially in B&W.

11. quest4quail

quest4quail

Jul 6, 2009
    Clovis, NM
    Now I have another reason to want to go (besides the single malt's). Great captures!!!! Love 'Relic #2.'

12. Very interesting and different. Thanks for sharing!

13. Thank you guys, much appreciated :biggrin:

As far as tenorman & Steve's comments: the vignette in the last two is built-in the pinhole Holgas, and is due to the recessed position the pinhole rests in; the B&W is built in the film I used :wink: as much as I use & love digital, there is still nothing (plug-ins etc) who gets close - IMHO - to the look of a MF negative (or even a 35 mm negative, for that matter).

Thanks again!

14. shtarka1

shtarka1

Feb 1, 2008
    Boston
    These are Excellent!

15. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    It is always nice to see work of this quality ! Congrats !

16. Thank you very much guys, I am glad you enjoyed them :biggrin:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.