Scratch repair

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by PLPhoto, Sep 26, 2008.

1. I'm quite obsessive compulsive when it comes to clean lenses.

Strange question, but has anyone ever painted a scratch on their Nikon lens body?

Any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  2. Yes - don't be so obsessive compulsive. Seriously, if it's not affecting the image quality, just try to forget it's there.

Barry

3. It's not working...

4. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Investigate the mathematics of photo pixel processing. That'll perhaps help you in realizing why it effectively doesn't matter ....

5. oddstray

oddstray

Jul 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Sorry ... should have been more descriptive. The effects of a lens scratch on a pixel are such a tiny fraction of the total effects of photography on that pixel that it effectively doesn't matter.

6. Yeah thanks, but that wasn't my question.

By recommendations, I meant touch up paint, but thanks.

7. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    Ditto. I nail my lenses with a "Rocket Blower" to get the dust off once in a while, that's about it. I never use UV filters and my lenses rarely get more than a few flecks of dust on them which has absolutely no effect on quality.

The less you can touch that glass, the better. Even a microfiber towell IS somewhat abrasive over time.

8. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    black paint repair

Haven't done it in years but in the "old" days we used to use spray paint for touch up because it was "thinner" than bottled enamels. Just spray some in the cap or in a plastic container and use the smallest brush possible and try to wipe off excess immediately. when dry, repeat until the scratch is filled.

dale

9. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    And to answer your question (I hate it when people don't just answer the question!!!) no, I have never painted a scratched lens. See above, I never scratch them.

I guess you're saying you have a scratched lens and it IS affecting your images???

10. man I am so lost I'm afraid to venture from this room! Paint a scratch? Enlighten me please.
    glenn

11. sharpie??? :) 

12. The body, not the glass folks.

I guess I assumed everyone would know what I meant...I mean really folks.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  13. That explains it. Thanks. Maybe sharpie, maybe pencil.

14. Bill N

Bill N Guest

I've used a sharpie in the past. A gentle swipe down the scratch followed by a breath on the glass and a gentle wipe with a lens tissue. Filled in the scratch just fine. Now this was just a light scratch to the coating. But I figured I didn't have much to lose. It was an old lens but, one I wanted to use with out fear of lens flare. Good luck, Bill

15. The body my friend, the body.

16. PeteZ28

PeteZ28

Oct 5, 2007
    Newtown, PA
    No, actually painting over scratches in lens glass is an old trick. If the scratch does not affect IQ (and many of them honstly don't) then painting the scratch with a dark paint can reduce the tendency of the scratch to cause flare.

17. heydale

heydale

Oct 5, 2007
    Maine
    I was talking about the body in my reply.

black enamel spray paint to paint scratches on the BODY!
    "I" thought you were talking about the body not the glass.
    dale

18. I know Dale, but I think a few others assumed the other.

Thank you by the way.

19. You might want to try some Krylon semi flat black spray paint. As previously stated spray a little paint into the cap and use a very fine artists brush to let the paint flow into and fill the scratch. I found this also works well for touching up little nicks and scratches on arca swiss clamps, etc...Hope this helps.......

Cheers

Ted:smile:

20. Yes it does, thanks Ted.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.