scratched my BM-6

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by fks, Jan 2, 2006.

1. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    just venting.

it's only been a week since i've used my D200 (it was in a box for one week, all by its lonely self), and i've managed to scatch the LCD cover. i had the camera slung over my shoulder, and a button from my jacket was quietly doing its work giving me some neat curved patterns on the plastic. the week before, i clouded up the BM-3 of my D2H when i let my cheek covered with sunscreen rest against the plastic. two screens damaged in two weeks, after four years of no issues. sigh :eek:

i've ordered a BM-6 on ebay (still waiting for a BM-3 at the right price). i'll probably put one of those protective thin films on it. a protective layer for a protective piece of plastic for the protective topmost layer of the LCD screen :biggrin:

ricky

2. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I did mine in, too. Have a D100 for 4 years and almost nothing, D200 for 2 weeks.... Oh well, maybe because it's a bigger target or maybe because they are using a different plastic. At least it's doing it's job and it's not the LCD. I'm sure mine will get worse than that when the boats start running again in the spring.....

3. I'm waiting for when 'Da Products (the people who make the LCD protectors introduced here by alex from holland) support the D200. My D70 protector looks like it's about 1/4 fogged from all the scratches.

4. cybertec

cybertec Guest

it's onlythere to protect the LCD, and that's all that matters, mine is a bid scuffed also, but it does not bother me the least, soon you will be able to get another one, for my D70 it cost $10 for the new plastic cover, matter of fact, I will leave mine as is, since the new one will most likely end up the same way. Once again, it is there to protect the LCD, that's all, and that's all that matters.

5. RForshey

RForshey Guest

While waiting for Hoodman to come up with something cool on the D2x, I went through about 10-12 BM-3s. I finally got to the point to where I bought them by the dozen :smile: ! I have now put the Hoodman (with the flip up cover) on both of my D2xs. They are a total pain in the rear, but I've gotten used to them. Good news is I no longer scratch BM-3s! I imagine Hoodman will have something for the D200 soon..

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi cybertec-

the D1 came with a black LCD protector, and the D1X/H had a translucent one (a step in the right direction). the D100 had the first clear protector that protects yet allows you to clearly see the LCD i'm bothered by the scratches as they obscure the image. that's why i'm not considering any of hoodman's current line as they are not transparent.

i thought of just removing the cover and using one of the film protectors, but then that leaves the LCD more vulnerable to impact damage.

ricky

7. RForshey

RForshey Guest

Hiya Ricky, I'm not familiar with the Hoodman that isn't transparent. THe ones I use have a flip up cover, but the LCD is protected by optical quality glass. You can see through them better than the BM-3!

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/flip_up.asp#Nikon

8. Polish it

There are some gentle polishes, especially those made by Tamiya that you can find at modelling and hobby shops for plastics that will remove scrtaches.

Also there are products at watch materials suppliers that are used to plish out scratches on plastic watch crystals - Polywatch is one brand that will do the job well.

A bit of Brasso if you get that brand in the states can also do the job, but it's slower.

Apply some washing up liquid afterwards and rinse and dry well and it should nearly be as good as new.

9. papa85

papa85 Guest

Hi Ricky.Try here:Angel:

http://www.bocaphoto.com/products/new/nikon/nikonacc.htm#caps

10. Here is a link to the website that has protectors used by Alex from Holland and I believe other forum members ordered them after he posted about them.
    http://www.daproducts.com/
    They don't yet officially have one for the D200, but watch their list of new items for order.
    I don't know if the one for the D2X will fit- it is possible, but the shape would have to be right.
    Maybe i'll send an e-mail tomorrow about it.

11. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi randy, you're correct, i thought hoodman made the shades that cover the LCD and pop up. my apologies. sadly, they don't make anything for the D2-series.

hi peter, thanks for the advice, i'll see if i can find any of that stuff and give it a try. a friend suggested using bounce (fabric softener sheet), i'll give that a try too this weekend.

hi tony, thanks for the link, they're out of stock on the BM-3 too.

hi harrison, interesting product, but it involves sticking stuff to the camera, something i'd rather avoid :) i'm not good at lining things up, i'd rather snap it on. this would've helped with my canon S410 though, i broke the LCD screen (cracked underneath the top surface) when i had it in my pants pocket one time.

thanks again to all for your help and advice :)

ricky

12. Personally, I toss the protectors in a drawer and never use them again.

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ed-

in that case, can i have your BM-3? :biggrin:

ricky