Screech Owl in B&W

_TLP0858-copy-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Screech owl is my favorite owl in Florida. While I have not seen many images posted of this species, I have been very fortunate to have this opportunity to photography them this season. Here is a shot that I shot recently, full frame right out of the camera, converted into black and white to give a different feel. I included the nest in this composition to show more of the environment. What do you think?
5D Mark III, 400mm 5.6L, 1/400, f/11, ISO1600, filled flash, full frame.

1. What the heck kind of camera is that? I don't find that model on the Nikon site :wink::confused:

2. The addition of the nest is Really Cool. At first glance, and I think the B&W enhances this, it almost looks like a great big Screech Owl with a little one on it's shoulder.

I'd like to see this with the eyes left "as-is", the normal color, might be interesting.

Neat shot, I like it a lot.

Now, if there was just an owl pellet to go with it .......

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I like the overall image and the way the image also gives a sense of size of the owl....and I like the inclusion of the nest.

The image just seems too "flat" to me. Perhaps a tad more contrast and/or shaprening on the owl, especially the eyes...

I like the overall image and the way the image also gives a sense of size of the owl....and I like the inclusion of the nest.

The image just seems too "flat" to me. Perhaps a tad more contrast and/or shaprening on the owl, especially the eyes...

Already applied selective sharpening on the owl. The more I look at it, maybe the color version is a better one. :) *delete*

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I didn't find the color version posted, so I can't comment on which one I prefer.

However, I certainly would NOT delete the B&W version! It is very nice.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom