screen protector question

Discussion in 'Other Cool Gear, Camera Bags, Camera Straps' started by qilin, Jul 23, 2007.

1. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Any one using screen protector for your dSLR? Necessary? This GGS screen protector looks interesting. They sell for about $15 on ebay. I am getting a new D80 and wondering whether I should get this.

2. I have never used that one but can definitely recommend Da Protector. It will probably be all you'll ever need:

http://www.daproducts.com/proselect.htm

$8 shipped. Alot of folks here use them. They take a few minutes to install but are great once on.

3. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    I have this and it is fantastic. Make sure everything is clean and dust free when you install. It can be removed, but is not easy.

4. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    daProtector looks great, is cheap ($8 shipped), simple (5 minute install), effective, easy, and awesome.

5. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the info. Hmmm, should I get the daProtector or the GGS protector? The GGS is made of hard plastic and reusable, $9.87 shipped from Hongkong, price not bad either.

6. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    daProtector is acryllic and very good quality. It is also silkscreened with a black frame on the inside (side facing the camera body). It is so nicely done I bought three so I'd always have one. So far it's been through 2 dusty, dirty auto races and shows no signs of wear.

7. Do I understand correctly that the "da Protector" is attached with some type of adhesive? Does it come off/clean off easily? I have a screen protector made by Expert Shield on my D40x which does not use any adhesive, and I like it (I think it is essentially the same as the GGS screen).

However, I was thinking hard about getting the Giotto's Aegis protector for my D80 (see it here: http://www.giottos.com/). More expensive, but is it just hype?

8. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Yes, daProtecor has an adhesive, which can be removed. It's the same kind of stuff they use to attach you credit card to the mailer insert when you get them in the mail. Know what I mean? It's good stuff. Holds well, is air and water tight, but can be removed pretty easily with floss when necessary.

9. Another vote for da Protectors. They attach using thin thin double-faced adhesive strips. According to the instructions, they can be removed and reused if desired, but I've had not reason to-no signs of any dust between the protector and LCD screen. To clean, I just wipe occasionally with a micro fiber cloth.

10. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Can the original LCD cover be attached with these protectors on, i.e. are they thin enough?

11. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Not with daProtector, and there is absolutely no reason to do so.

12. No, but you won't need/want to use the original cover.

13. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Anyone has exprience with this Expert Shield protector? Looks easier to apply and it also includes one for the small top LCD.

14. I had a DA "protector" on my D50 for quite a while. I ripped it off after I realized how much glare it was generating. IMHO, don't waste your $ for something that can generate added glare.

YMMV
    JohnG

15. I just ordered this for my new D80

I have it on my D40x. It is easy to apply (just be careful you don't get any dust under it), doesn't use any adhesive, and is virtually invisible when applied -- no glare. I also ordered it thru ebay, but from a different seller for $2 less. Do a search for the seller named "digital hot deal"

16. David D. Busch

David D. Busch

Apr 30, 2006
    Midwest
    da Protector all the way

I use da Protector on my D40, D70, D200, and D2x, and had one on my Canon 30D before I sold it. Tough, scratch resistant, and doesn't fog up like the D2x plastic protector does. To remove, just use a strand of dental floss to separate it from the LCD.

Dave

17. I have these on both my D50 and D80. The one's I got came with both the rear LCD protector and a smaller one for the top LCD as well. They are really nice for the price.... Highly recommend them.. Oh...Just looked at your link and you can see it also has both LCD protectors large rear and small top protectors.

18. qilin

qilin

Jul 22, 2007
    NJ, USA
    Thanks everyone for all the inputs. Decided to go with the GGS protector. My original link doesn't include the small piece anymore. So I ordered this one from ebay for $8.99 shippped from Hongkong.

19. dagored

dagored

May 4, 2005
    Ohio
    Same seller, same protector. As stated previously it works great. Looks great and I do not miss the original. In fact, I would not want to put it back on.