screen protector question

Okay, I guess you all just like spending more money. :biggrin: Here is the link to the Expert Shield seller (virtually the same as the GGS screen protector, with two pieces for the D80). If you want to pay in pounds sterling, its only 4.90. http://cgi.ebay.com/Screen-Protecto...4934006QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50508QQcmdZViewItem

Of course, if you want to pay in USD, you can get it here for only $6.00 (about 3 pounds sterling). http://cgi.ebay.com/Screen-Protecto...3116979QQihZ009QQcategoryZ50492QQcmdZViewItem

Me, I'm saving my pennies to pay for all the new glass.

I swear by this:

http://www.hoodmanusa.com/prodinfo.asp?number=H-D200

I used one on my D100 and now have one on my D200. My only objection is that they now make them in China--another North Amercan worker out of work.

Bruce

Not sure how these work...how can you look through the viewfinder when the hood is up? Or do you need to close the hood each time you take a picture, then open it up again to review your shot?

Dave

Not sure how these work...how can you look through the viewfinder when the hood is up? Or do you need to close the hood each time you take a picture, then open it up again to review your shot?

Dave
Yup..it's a PITA. I tried one out in my local camera store and hated it immediately. It was a no brainer to put it back. I've also heard they aren't very reliable.

David,

Yes, you do have to collapse it to use the viewfinder. However, I find it really helps cut down the glare and reflections using the LCD. Some people have suggested knocking out one of the side-pieces to make it easier to close with one hand. I have no problem although I nearly knocked out one of my eyes at one time.

I used one on my D100 for about a year and on my D200 for a year and a half so far with no problems. The one for the D100 was made in the U.S. the one for the D200, in China.

Bruce

Received the 2 piece GGS protector, very good quality, easy to apply. I had to do the big one twice since first time I didn't pay attention, there was a layer of haze on the inside, wiped it clean and re-applied. But taking if off was also easy.

Now onto getting a strap to replace the thin original one with big yellow logo. Trying to decide between Domke and OpTech...

I have both -- I purchased the OpTech strap, but then I purchased a virtually brand new Domke F2 bag (which is fantastic, in my opinion) from an ebay seller, and he included a Domke strap. Personally, I tend to prefer the Domke -- it just seems more useable, in an all around sense. I tend to carry my camera not just around my neck, but also on my shoulder when I'm not shooting, and sometimes just in my hand with the strap wrapped around my wrist a couple of times. The OpTech is a little wider and shaped differently, so the 'carrying in the hand' mode isn't as convenient. However, I haven't really given the OpTech strap a long workout with a big lens, which is what they claim is its real benefit. I just ordered an 80-200 f/2.8, so when it arrives I'll see if carrying it changes my opinon.

I bought an OpTech strap off the Nikonians site. I couldn't be happier. A neoprene strap without all the bounce usually associated with such straps when used with heavy setups.

Thanks Mike and Mark, I decided to go with Domke gripper 1.5", ordered from B&H. I like the low profile appearance.

do you really care if the LCD screen gets dinged up?

Absolutely. I had a scratch (more like a little spot, made up of several scratches) right in the middle of the LCD screen on my P&S Olympus, and it was not only very annoying in general, it sometimes made it cumbersome to review photos. Compared to the relatively minor cost of a screen protector, there just isn't any reason not to use one in my opinion, and they are much handier than the Nikon clip on shield.

I had a killer one on my D200. Forgot who made it, but it was hunk of plexi-glass cut to fit the LCD and put in place with 2 sided tape...$9 I think. It was great.

Latest threads

Top Bottom