Screen Resolution Guide

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by jgrove, Nov 22, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Hi folks,

I am sitting here editing some recent wedding shots. I have set NC to display the tools i use for this type of work, but often find the screen clutured.

My original settings were 1080 * 1024 at 85hz on my Iiyama 19 inch HM903DT screen

I have just set it to 1600 * 1200 at 85hz

Now things fit better on the screen but the text doesnt seem as sharp.

Questions:

On your monitor what res do you you run?

Will my new resolution damage my eyes?

What other settings could i alter in XP to make the screen look better?

Thanks in advance.

2. general

general

Apr 30, 2005
    Nebraska
    Two monitors

I think two monitors are the only long term answer. I use my primary monitor at 1600 X 1200 and a smaller monitor to the right at 1024 X 768. I believe the only damage to your eyes might be from eyestrain looking at the smaller fonts and you can adjust that to some extent.

3. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I run my 21" CRT at 1440x1080, I found at 1600x1200 the text was just too small. I'll probably get a small LCD to use as secondary monitor when I do my next PC upgrade sometime next year.

4. If you have Windows XP, here is a tip to get clearer text.

1. right click on desktop and select Properties 2. click on Appearance tab 3. click on Effects button 4. put a check in the box next to "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts"
    5. select ClearType from the drop down menu 6. click OK on the Effects menu and the Properties menu

It's easy to change it back if you don't like it, but this may save you some eye strain.