SD-800 Batery pack

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Alan, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Has anyone used the SD-800 battery pack? This is the one that adds an extra battery to your sb-800 . For only $18 I wonder if it really helps any. Any opinions on this item? I don't have the sb-800 but have considered ordering one.

2. DJVCuda

DJVCuda

Jun 13, 2008
    Atco, NJ
    It came with my SB-800 and had a list of recycling times in the manual.
    For what I use it for I needed it and noticed a difference ( action )

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Alan, that 5th battery is a very useful addition to the SB-800, it sure helps minimize recycle times and it also extends the life of the batteries. Another fine adjunct is the SD-8a battery pack. This item holds eight AA batteries and plugs into the SB-800. With eleven batteries at your disposal, you can shoot an aweful long time.

4. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Thanks Dave and Frank. Frank I've seen your setup, it's pretty awesome. As many flash units as the sd-8a works on, I wonder why the sb-600 is not one of them? It would be nice to be able to buy and use it now, and it still work when I move up to the sb-800.

5. "This item holds eight AA batteries and plugs into the SB-800. With eleven batteries at your disposal, you can shoot an aweful long time."

Frank - have always admired your photography; your math on the other hand.....:biggrin:

8 in the SD-8a plus either 4 or 5 in the SB800 = 11?

6. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    I use a black box battery for my SB-800 set up.
    Flash_Setup.

It has a rechargeable sealed lead acid battery in side. One full charge can shoot about 1,000 flash. If and when the battery died, I can replace the battery inside the black box for about $25.

I don't pay much attention about recycling time so the fifth battery is no use for me.

7. Alan

Alan

May 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Does the Black box work on a sb-600? Do you have a link for the company?

8. Cougar8045

Cougar8045

May 25, 2007
    Earth
    Yes. Black box can work with SB-600. I use a standard Quantum MKZ3 cable for my SB-800. He can custom make a cable for your SB-600. I am thinking to send him my cable and change to a DIN plug instead of the RCA plug right now.

I had my black box for almost 2 years. It works great. No more AA batteries purchase. The box is a little heavy but I put it in a small Lowpro P&S camera pouch then strap it on my camera belt. Don't even know it's there. He even offer a slimmer version call Tuxedo compact. It's a little cheaper but the capacity is a little less.

This is the guy I bought it from. He does great custom work for all photography gears. http://www.aljacobs.com His site has all the information you need.

9. Errrr........ My SD-8A only holds six AA batteries. Either Frank or I can't count. :) 

Though Frank's total of eleven implies he meant six batteries. :) 

Ronnie

10. Whew - I thought I was losing it! :biggrin:

11. I did have to count them twice to make sure. :eek: :biggrin:

Ronnie

12. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Alan, the SB-800 comes with one already, along with a set of three color correction gels and a Stofen style diffuser.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.