SD Card Recommendation

Over the weekend my SD card broke, The slider that places the card on lock broke off in the lock position and I can't place it back on. So I'm stuck with an 8GB SD card that I can only read from. So I'm in the market for a new card. I'm gonna start doing portraits and test on maternity photos so I know I want to shoot raw. Do you guys have any recommendations on what card to get? I'm currently shooting with a D300s. Thanks!

Here great source of original Sandisk cards, I'm buying from this guy all the time.
Ebay - "sinceritytrading".
Free shipping also.
Regards

Lexar or Sandisk from a reputable dealer. Say B&H. There are lots of fake Sandisk cards out there. Do not look for too good to be true deal.

That lock switch is a weak point. I broke one myself. I insert carefully so as not to catch. Once it is in the camera, it is in for life. I down load via USB. But you need to be very careful with that also.

Over the weekend my SD card broke, The slider that places the card on lock broke off in the lock position and I can't place it back on. So I'm stuck with an 8GB SD card that I can only read from. So I'm in the market for a new card. I'm gonna start doing portraits and test on maternity photos so I know I want to shoot raw. Do you guys have any recommendations on what card to get? I'm currently shooting with a D300s. Thanks!
I can't see how you can do better than this 8Gb card (16gb version is fine I'm sure). My tests on the D7000 were it is slightly faster than the Extreme III 30mb, and a lot faster than the other cards I have. I can say from my research that there won't be a faster SD card out there for buffer clearing and download speed to the computer. Don't be fooled by claims of Class 10 performance on other cards. That's a video standard and not nearly as demanding as dealing with RAW files.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733800-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXP1_008G_A75_8GB_Extreme_Pro_SDHC.html

I can't see how you can do better than this 8Gb card (16gb version is fine I'm sure). My tests on the D7000 were it is slightly faster than the Extreme III 30mb, and a lot faster than the other cards I have. I can say from my research that there won't be a faster SD card out there for buffer clearing and download speed to the computer. ...
This might have changed now with the new Kingston UHS:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-14.html

About 52% faster than the Sandisk in downloading images presuming a very fast USB 3.0 reader. :eek:

Write speeds are almost the same, though.

But the price is insane, I don't trust Kingston cards like the Sandisks, and frankly nothing Nikon currently makes fully leverages the speed of either the Kingston and Sandisk UHS cards. So I'll stick with my Sandisks.

Still, it shows the speed potential.

I can't see how you can do better than this 8Gb card (16gb version is fine I'm sure). My tests on the D7000 were it is slightly faster than the Extreme III 30mb, and a lot faster than the other cards I have. I can say from my research that there won't be a faster SD card out there for buffer clearing and download speed to the computer. Don't be fooled by claims of Class 10 performance on other cards. That's a video standard and not nearly as demanding as dealing with RAW files.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/733800-REG/SanDisk_SDSDXP1_008G_A75_8GB_Extreme_Pro_SDHC.html

That is what I use. I used the same thing, just the 30m/s version before.

This might have changed now with the new Kingston UHS:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdxc-sdhc-uhs-i,2940-14.html

About 52% faster than the Sandisk in downloading images presuming a very fast USB 3.0 reader. :eek:

Write speeds are almost the same, though.

But the price is insane, I don't trust Kingston cards like the Sandisks, and frankly nothing Nikon currently makes fully leverages the speed of either the Kingston and Sandisk UHS cards. So I'll stick with my Sandisks.

Still, it shows the speed potential.
Interesting, Bill - but the write speeds are indeed the same for the Kingston & SanDisk UHS-I cards, and that's much more important than the read speed!

Cheers

Mike

Top Bottom