SD Surprise - Western Grebes

During my recent trip I was surprised to see quite a large number of western grebes on this small lake. They were, of course, way out in the middle of the lake when I spotted them. I parked the car to observe them and just enjoy the morning. To my surprise they started coming toward me. The beanbag was already in place and I started shooting. At one point they were less than 30 feet from me. That evening I went back out and found them again. And, again, they started swimming toward me. To cap it off the water was nice and smooth. Here are my favorites.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Some dandy shots there Aaron.
Thanks, Nick. I was really excited as I had never photographed these before. Most photographers go to Sand Lake which is east of where I was. I think there were at least 9 birds on the lake, which is a small lake.

Very nice.
We do not have them in Florida, just Pied-billed grebes (much smaller species).
Thanks, Alex. The pied-bills are mostly what I see where I live as well. The babies are adorable.
Nice. 3 and 4 are my favorites
Thank you for your comments, Allan.
Patience and hours in the field pay off. Really a nice set. Nos 4, 5, and 7 are awesome. Well done.
Thank you, Dan. You are certainly right about time spent. These were like a dream come true. I still get giddy looking back at the photos. It was such a neat experience.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom