SDHC write speeds

Lexar makes a Professional and a Platinum II line of cards. The professional claims to write at 20Mb while the Platinum II has a write speed of 9Mb. Pricing from Lexar is $49.99 for the Professional and $29.99 for the Platinum II.

I can't find anything that stipulates what the ouput speed is on the D90. I'm assuming that you could buy a card that exceeds the specs of the writing device and is therefore a waisted money. Any thoughts as to the usefulness of the 20MB write speed?

I've always used SanDisk in the past and for various reasons have thought that I'd try a different brand. Any opinions on Lexar?

Thanks for the link. Looks like the D90 can output at least 18.5Mb per second, possibly more. I don't do video and probably never shoot any faster than 5-6 frames a minute (rarely.) I shoot NEF only.

Any opinion on Lexar in general?

I use Sandisk Extreme III's only. This may be a personal thing, but I had a Lexar go bad on me once and I lost half of my pictures from a vacation in Hawaii. The ones I transferred to a PC were obviously safe...but the other's are somewhere in oblivion. HORRIBLE. I have never heard or experienced one bad thing with the Sandisk Extreme editions.

I am currently using the SanDisk extreme III 8Gb card in my D90. It is currently the only card I have. My camera is in the shop for the second time. It stops shooting at about 120-130 frames. Nikon said they couldn't replicate the problem. I started thinking that since they have you remove the card prior to sending it in, that maybe the problem was actually the card. I asked this question of the tech support staff and they said no. I still thought I might try it when I get the camera back.

I'm probably just off on a tangent. I just couldn't figure out why they couldn't get it to do it for them when it happens always for me. Maybe they'll have better luck this time.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom