1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

SDHC write speeds

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jim_B, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Lexar makes a Professional and a Platinum II line of cards. The professional claims to write at 20Mb while the Platinum II has a write speed of 9Mb. Pricing from Lexar is $49.99 for the Professional and $29.99 for the Platinum II.

I can't find anything that stipulates what the ouput speed is on the D90. I'm assuming that you could buy a card that exceeds the specs of the writing device and is therefore a waisted money. Any thoughts as to the usefulness of the 20MB write speed?

I've always used SanDisk in the past and for various reasons have thought that I'd try a different brand. Any opinions on Lexar?

2. If you look on the Rob Galbraith site he has speed tested various cards in various cameras.

The Sandisk Extreme II 30mb/s Edition is capable of just over 20mb/s with the D90.

So, the platinum card would hold the camera back if you fill the camera's buffer.

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/camera_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9597

If you don't do video & you don't use continuous high you can save your money ...

3. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    Thanks for the link. Looks like the D90 can output at least 18.5Mb per second, possibly more. I don't do video and probably never shoot any faster than 5-6 frames a minute (rarely.) I shoot NEF only.

Any opinion on Lexar in general?

4. asnpcwiz

asnpcwiz

May 27, 2009
    USA
    I use Sandisk Extreme III's only. This may be a personal thing, but I had a Lexar go bad on me once and I lost half of my pictures from a vacation in Hawaii. The ones I transferred to a PC were obviously safe...but the other's are somewhere in oblivion. HORRIBLE. I have never heard or experienced one bad thing with the Sandisk Extreme editions.

5. Jim_B

Jim_B

Feb 25, 2009
    Independence, Mo.
    I am currently using the SanDisk extreme III 8Gb card in my D90. It is currently the only card I have. My camera is in the shop for the second time. It stops shooting at about 120-130 frames. Nikon said they couldn't replicate the problem. I started thinking that since they have you remove the card prior to sending it in, that maybe the problem was actually the card. I asked this question of the tech support staff and they said no. I still thought I might try it when I get the camera back.

I'm probably just off on a tangent. I just couldn't figure out why they couldn't get it to do it for them when it happens always for me. Maybe they'll have better luck this time.

6. just looking around and i see SD cards special for video, does any body know how good they are for a D90? Does that makes any difference?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.