SE OWL After The Storm

Discussion in 'Birds' started by jfenton, Mar 13, 2005.

1. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    The snow was over this morning when I awoke and although I hadn't gotten to bed until 2:15 and I had a crappy hangover, I was out in the marsh at 7:15.

I was walking by a pine tree along the edge of the marsh as the tide was way up and there wasn't any way to venture out into the marsh at the moment. I saw a clump of snow fall and when I looked closely....look who I found! (All were shot with a D2X @ ISO 400 f7.1 HANDHELD. Nikon 200-400 AFS-VR with a TC 14EII).

original.

View attachment 6221
    original.

2. I have this HUGE smile on my face right now!! Just fantastic Jim!!! That is a beautiful bird!!! :) :) :) :) :) :)

3. Jim,

#1 picture is spectacular !!!!

4. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Bryan...

It absolutely made my day...especially considering that I went back looking for hunting owld for 4 hours this afternoon and once again...they were to far away to shoot.

5. How far away were you to the owl when making these shots?

6. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Jim :

Glad to see you're stepping up to the challenge of that 200-400mm and doing it handheld.

That's the way to shoot that beast, old boy !

Dunno about this thing with the hangover, though... You need to be out drinking in Socorro again, IMO. No hangovers in the December gang that I recall. Better beer maybe...

Great shots, BTW !

John P.

7. GeeJay

GeeJay

Jan 26, 2005
    Florida
    Hi Jim,
    These are unbelievable pictures.. Great shots and know you feel awfully good about them.. Really good work! AND I can't believe you'd still want to sell your 200-400VR if you got these handheld....

Best to you and I always enjoy your unusually good pictures,

Gaye

8. Absolutely unreal, Jim.

It seems that you just keep on having once-in-a-lifetime experiences with this owl!

That first shot is unbelievable. Are you sure this isn't in a zoo somewhere?? :)

9. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Yeh, you might have a keeper or two there Jim.

:LOL:

Great shots!

Neil

10. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Well let's see if I can respond to all posts at once...

A) I am not currently planning on selling the lens. Not today anyway.

B) I get away with handheld shots a fair bit of the time. I prefer it on a tripod but I honestly didn't dare and try to set the tripod up for fear that this bird would fly away.

C) I like the first shot best as well!

D) No...this absolutely wasn't in a zoo!!!

E) I was probably 35' from him when I realized he / it was there.

I'm not at all convinced that this is the same bird I've captured in flight lately. There are several in the area and one is pretty elusive when hunting..I have a feeling that this might be him as the colors seem to be just a shade different from the others.

11. Jim,

Jim,

I'll join the gang and say that I too am floored by these, particularly the first one. How many people get to see that kind of animal, from afar, in their lifetime? And here you spoil us with incredible shots, up-close and personal, thanks to that big gun... and your talent! Thank you so much for posting them! :D :lol: :p

12. Simply Awesome shot great capture well deserved for all your hard work in stalking these guys

13. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Phillipe...

I'm gonna have to get a bigger hat if you keep that hogwash up my friend :)

I have a knack for being able to find these critters and I've gotten far more comfortable with spinning the EV dial on a moments notice to better my exposures, but believe me...had you been standing there, you could have pushed the little trigger button just as easily as I did.

14. WOW, that is close!! He is well camoflauged. You probably would not have noticed him if that snow hadn't dropped. Those big yellow eyes are AWESOME!!! :D :D :D :D :D

15. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

I don't have to tell you how good these are, but I will anyway. I HATE YOU!!

Were these shot in the HSC mode or at the full 12+MP?

Frank

16. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Frank

Do you really HATE me? (I'm just kidding ya)
    Geez...and I was gonna get off my butt and send you an e-mail to tell you what a nice tim I had meeting you in FLA....

They were in full mode sir..not the crop mode.

17. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Holey Jumpin &*&^^%##*)(_)

Unbelievalbe. Superb. Wonderful. Beautifiiful

Excellent..W OWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW

Gale

18. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Thanks Gale (Humbly).

The beautiful subject had lots to do with it!

Honest!

19. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Jim,

You can go ahead and drop me the email.... 8)

All I can say is that you must feel very justified in your investment. These shots alone would make my year.... :wink:

Regards,

Frank

20. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    To say mine pale in comparison,

is the understatement of the CENTURY! All I can say is my hat's off to ya, Jim, these go beyond incredible. PS, I hate you too! ;)