Sea Otters

Finally something to shoot other than dogs. We made it out on Prince William Sound for our first trip of the season.

All of the critters were shot with a D800E and 500mm f4 VR. The landscapes were shot with a V1.

I tool a couple of hundred frames of otter shots. Not a lot of variety in water color as most were shot away from the shoreline. I'm still culling but here are a couple quick ones.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

And a couple of landscapes that I'll sneak into this forum out of laziness. The first one was taken while walking the dog on tidal flats at the head of a bay. The second was taken in the anchorage where we spent Saturday night. Both stitched together with V1 images. You can see it was overcast and drizzly and there's still not much color in the world up here yet.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Oh so nice!

That first shot is Great and is #3 with baby!!!!!

And that last landscape really screams "Alaska!" to me!

Great images that really make me want to visit Alaska again.

Dan, love the first image. It's a classic. Also like the second pano. It really gives one an idea of the environment you were working with. Well done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for all the comments, folks. As you can see we found a couple of accomodating otters. But they were more scattered out than typical in that particular location. Had to work for them :smile:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks for the comments.

...They all have great eye contact with you...
That's usually not a problem with them. They are cautious little guys and keep an eye on you if you get anywhere near them. They were hunted to near extinction in the 17-1800s. Presumably those that survived were the cautious ones and they passed on that trait to their decendants.

On the other hand, there are typically one or two hanging around any public marina that have become habituated to people. They are the opposite and won't pay attention to you at all. If you see closeup photos of a northern sea otter with no eye contact, chances are it was shot around a marina.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom