Seabeck, WA...Look for Goundhogs and find......Bald Eagles!

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Given how many of my trips out looking for Bald Eagles have found everything but Bald Eagles, we went looking for Groundhogs today, and darned if it didn't work like a charm :wink:

We had heard about this place at Seabeck, WA on the Hood Canal, starting at Big Beef Creek. Got there at low tide, and had a great day. These are the first of a bunch, all Bald Eagles.

Here is the penultimate Seabeck Bald Eagle, and it really gives you an idea of how close they were. This is from the causeway at Big Beef creek:
    DSC8433.sized.
    This "bird" was flying off the deck at the house on the North end of the causeway. Well, the wind was helping it a lot :lol: :lol:

I have been trying to get a decent close-up sequence of a feeding Eagle, and so far everything has been a long way off. This sequence, I'll add more later, was by the Espresso Stand near the pier in Seabeck proper:

I think I'm still hungry:
    DSC8459S.sized.

I Spy a Little More ....:
    DSC8460s.sized.

Breakfast...:
    DSC8467.sized.

Got Any for Me???:
    DSC8472.sized.

Good and Chewy:
    DSC8477.sized.

It was really nice to get this sequence from only about 50-60 feet away, YEAH :!: :!: :!: Although it was a touch gross watching the fish tail flopping as the Eagle was chowing down, better not let PETA see these.....

We got some bits of sun, no rain, all in all a darned good day, if I say so myself......

2. Nice shots Bill! I Like the one where it is grabbing the fish!

I saw soem eagles form my veranda up here in Dunca, BC but the where sure far away, wish I would have had the oportunity that you have had today!

3. HI Bill.........

Reading your commentary, then saw the first pic roflmao :lol: :lol: :lol:
    dang near spit my coffee out...........looks like you had a great day. Ive always wondered how one meters being the head is so white and body dark so you dont blow out the highlights, you did great!!

Keith

4. Thanks, Andreas, we miss you down here. You would have LOVED this place with your 800mm. Next time you are down this way maybe we can head over that direction.

There was one bird that we watched that was flying right around one of the beach houses, looked like it was going below the roof into the back yard. Would have been great to be there for these.

5. Re: HI Bill.........

OK, you caught me. I cloned out the fishing line that attached that "bird" to the post off the deck :wink: . But it looked so cool flying in the breeze.

As to the exposure, it is a royal pain, especially as the birds move from having the clear sky as background to the water and the trees. What I did on the first ones here was to actually have some blow highlights, that PSCS2 ACR dealt with much better than Nikon Capture. What I normally try to do is to take some test shots with varying degrees of compenstaion. In this case, I didn't have time, as this sequence occured right after we got to the spot. A real part of the challenge is trying to get the right compensation the first time. If I had Ron Reznick with me it would be a piece of cake :lol: .

Thanks, Keith.

6. Bill this is my first post in this forum. I enjoyed the day with you and we were lucky to get such great opportunities. Looking at your pictures makes me want to return soon.

7. Bill this is my first post in this forum. I enjoyed the day with you and we were lucky to get such great opportunities. Looking at your pictures makes me want to return soon.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Great job Bill,

What a thrill this must have been.

Way to go