Seabirds at La Jolla Cove

Discussion in 'Birds' started by gvk, Aug 28, 2005.

1. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    I was in California about a week ago visiting relatives, and I had the opportunity to spend a couple of hours trying to photograph flying seabirds at La Jolla Cove. This was my first attempt at shooting birds in flight, and although the subjects were not as exotic as many of the experts here have been posting, I found the experience instructional. I learned a bit about my D2X while trying out different focus modes, metering and exposure compensation in situations unlike those that I am more familiar with.

Going fishing ...
    33639174-L.

Flying in formation ... but there is alway one joker in every family!
    33639575-L.

33639007-L.

Well this gull was not flying, just surveying his domain ...
    33639207-L.

A Shearwater I think, can anyone confirm?
    33641908-L.

All photos were taken with a 70-200 VR on my D2X using a TC-17E on all but the third. A monopod was used for the first two, and the others were hand held.

I came away with a few ok shots, and a new respect for those of you who practice this type of nature photography on a regular basis. I have been shooting sports for most of my life, and rarely have I had to react so rapidly to changing conditions or track small subjects that move as fast.

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    That second shot is outstanding.

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Gerry,

These are very good shots, especially considering that this was your first attempt. You should have seen mine. :eek:

I love Pelicans. When I travel to Florida, I shoot them at every opportunity. Gulls are graceful birds and great flight shot practice.

4. Great stuff cant beleive that is your first time, way better than I ever did. Love the group of pelicans very well composed

5. gvk

gvk

Jun 17, 2005
    Mystic, CT
    Thanks to all for the kind words. Any success must be due to beginners luck! Well I did learn many years ago that to be a successful photographer you have to throw out your bad shots, and there were plenty of those. However, as I said above this was a bit of an experiment to discover how the various D2X autofocus and exposure modes behave in different situations. I am pleased that any images worth looking at resulted from the exercise. I enjoyed it so much that I will be looking for opportunites to try again soon.

6. Great shots. Very nice work!!!

And the one gull that stands still on the rock is nice it is good you showed the other photo's where they fly. Because i have photo's too of gulls that stand still. When i show these photo's to people they say it is a fake or plastic gull that i shot.

It is that i have another photo where it flies on. Else they would call me a liar. Some of these gulls we have here are not afraid of people they attack you when you eat a sandwich.

Greetings,
    VinceBeus

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Geez.....you nailed that second image! :Guns: