Seabirds on Inner Farne

Discussion in 'Birds' started by alanhill, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I had a quick visit to north east England last week. The weather was disappointing, but it cleared up in time for a boat trip landing on Inner Farne (the largest of the Farne Islands). It was my first visit at the peak of the nesting season.
    These islands have never had a permanent human settlement, so the birds are utterly unafraid. I used my 300mm f/4 with my D200, but a shorter lens might have been better!

Arctic terns
    FarneIs003a424.

FarneIs003b006.

Arctic tern panorama
    FarneIs003a453.

Eider duck
    FarneIs003a362.

Eider drake relaxing
    FarneIs003a407.

Razorbill
    FarneIs003a097.

FarneIs003a099.

Atlantic puffin
    FarneIs003a240.

I am very conscious that these photos only show a fraction of the spectacle of these seabirds. In particular I was disappointed by most of the flight shots: I have to learn how to get the best out of my camera and lens in these situations. I hope to go back to the Farnes this weekend for more practice :smile:

Alan

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    really like the series well done

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow great series.
    The 300 is a great lens. But your right a tad to long sometimes.
    I use my 80-400 VR or the 70-300VR when the 300 prime is to long

4. Bolts

Bolts

May 7, 2007
    Tampa, Florida
    Love the razorbill!

(Um, puffins can fly?)

5. Puffins fly beautifully - underwater. In the air, on the other hand, they are rather like bricks with wings: they have to keep flapping nineteen to the dozen to stay aloft, so they fly quite fast, but they aren't too good at steering.

Thank you all for looking and commenting.

Alan

6. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    The Razorbills are a very striking bird. I would love to see one of those in person but for now your excellent images will do. Nice work!

7. BirdLady

BirdLady

Jan 8, 2006
    Alabama
    Great series, Alan!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Alan. My fav is the Razorbill, but all very good. :smile:

9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    The Razor and Puffin.....really cool. Have seen the Razor before very unusal. I love Puffins....Great images.

10. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Nice shots alan, i had hoped to get there this year but its looking unlikely now :(

11. Nice shots Alan. I hear you about the flight shots. You will need to bump your ISO up to catch the details in the wings without the blurring, sometimes the blurring is nice but sometimes it's nice to see all the detail. I have been shooting birds for quite a while and sometimes it's just hit and miss. Often weather, lighting etc is not optimal and we just have to make the most of it. I recently did some shooting early morning at a birdhide which was a first. There was no wind in the early morning, the lighting was great and the bird activity that time of morning was just incredible. I also shoot birds for ID purposes which is when it's nice to get all the details and no blurring. But these are still very nice shots and I look forward to seeing more from you.

12. Thank you all for your comments. I partcularly appreciate the constructive criticism from Mitch and I agree about the ISO settings - I love the quality of the D200's 100 ISO images so much that I am too reluctant to increase the ISO in the situations when it would be beneficial. On the other hand I can't help thinking that auks' wings beat so fast that they ought to be a little blurred in photos.
    I also agree that the trick with flight shots is to know how to combine the conditions of light and wind with a knowledge of the bird and skill in the use of the camera and lens - at the moment, I'm still learning how best to use the D200. I hope I can get more practice on Saturday and Sunday :wink:

Alan

13. Very nice series and a good mixture of birds. It's not often us birders need a shorter lens!