Searching for 4GB RAM...

Discussion in 'PC/Windows/Linux' started by Desert Rat, Jul 2, 2007.

1. Well, I am in need of a tad bit of help. Been looking around for 4GB (2GB x 2) RAM chips. I am in the process of gathering the parts to build a Quadcore system with Vista 64Bit edition and wanted 6-8GB of DDR2 800Mhz RAM.

I tend to stitch large panoramas and don't want to run out of memory anymore.

Having a bit of difficult located some of the more name brand of RAM... I keep hearing Patriot or Corsair RAM is the best choices?

Any suggestions as to where to look???

2. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Newegg.com, 26 flavors

3. Thanks.. But let me be a bit more specific... I am looking for a recommendation on the manufacturer or are they all the same?

Any of those brands better than others? Also, one that has stock on the ram?

4. mallaig

mallaig

Mar 12, 2006
    Eric, my personal preference is Corsair XMS memory. I tend to stick with standard clock speeds and cycles and forego the ultra gaming edition stuff, leave that to overclockers. Particularly, if you use that computer for business you should opt for stability over (marginal) speed increase, although, it's seems to be hard to find standard memory these days.

Like you I wanted 2GB sticks but couldn't find any (in the UK), so I went for two sets of these. Check out the speed ratings of your motherboard, it might be certified for 1066MHz in which case it's worth getting that extra speed.

Other memory I know works well is from Crucial, Micron, OCZ and GeIL. I think newegg stocks most of those, but the latter two fall more into the enthusiast region.

Stay well clear of unbranded, cheap or value memory (e.g. Kingston). Those tend to me somewhat economic with the truth with regards to the speed ratings on their labels and are less compatible with motherboards.

Hope it helps.

5. I've tried about half a dozen brands of RAM in recent years.

Corsair is the only RAM that has never given me any compatibility grief.

6. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    There are only a few chip manufacturers, like Micron, Hynix, Samsung or Geil. Corsair and OCZ do not make their own RAM chips. They use hand picked chips so they are good for overclocking. The Corsair Value RAMs are quite bad - maybe they are made with the left over chips!

Actually if you are not overclocking most brands are OK. Personally I have quite good experience with Adata DDR2s lately. I have built a few systems with their DDR667 in the last couple of months and they can all run at 250+ FSB (meaning DDR1000+). However, my experience is only with their 1G X2 sticks.

btw, Eric, if you haven't buy your CPU yet- wait! Intel will have their summer reduction on July 22. The Q6600 will be $200 less by then!

7. Well, Tim I have not gotten the CPU or motherboard yet. I knew Intel was cutting prices in July, but was not sure when. I am going to now wait till July 22 and then get the MB and CPU.

I figured I would look for PC6400 (800Mhz) DDR2 RAM and go with Vists 64 and 8GB since I do a lot of panorama stitching.. Panorama Factory has a 64 bit version that will take advantage of the 64bit OS...

Probably not going to overclock the system... Don't think I will need it...

8. technick

technick

Jun 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    This question reminds me of the age old question, "What type of car do you drive?".

I prefer Kingston Hyper-X / Corsair XMS / OCZ Gold personally. Their is something to be said about high end memory, the lifetime warranty and the craftsmanship that goes into them.:wink:

Be sure to check what memory your motherboard manufacturer recommends before blindly purchasing, it may not be compatible with your motherboard.

9. TimK

TimK

Apr 17, 2006
    Hong Kong, China
    Just like Technick I use Corsair XMS myself because they are good for overclocking. However, if you are not overclocking I don't think you'll need them. You can check out Adata or Crucial RAMs. Crucial is a subsidiary of Micron and are quite reasonably priced.

As for the motherboard I think you can save a few bucks by using Intel 965 chipset. The new Intel chipset (P35) supports DDR3 which is not common and, IMO, overpriced for the limited increase of performance. (DDR3 has 1333 rating, while DDR2 maxed out at 1066. The new Intel dual core CPUs operated at 1333, while the quad s are at 1066)

I think you can take a look at the DFI Infinity 965. It is solidly built with very high quality components that should last for a long time.

10. Well what do you think of this RAM??
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-145-176

I was looking at the 975 since I know it is a very stable board.. I will probably not overclock the Quadcore system...

Would prefer 800Mhz RAm otherwise I feel like I am limithing the system by using 667Mhz RAm chips...

11. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    Anything should do fine. If you want to play it for 'real', you buy a motherboard that has a certified memory vendor list and buy the specific model they tested. Intel motherboards tend to have this for their higher end workstation motherboards.

Even though there are only 3 or so ram vendors, it doesn't mean the PCB (printed circuit board) is the same. It is like saying all monitors are the same because there are only 3 or so tube makers.

Practically speaking though, almost anything will do if it is a decent brand name like Corsair, Crucial, or Dataram, etc.