searching for a price...

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by Picturepro, Dec 19, 2005.

1. yea right, like someone "real" would discount the hottest camera on the market. be prepared to buy the battery and charger seperate

2. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    There is another site that sells it for less than $1700 (give or take one cent :rolleyes: ), and that is e-cost (for $100 less). A quick look at the comments at www.resellerratings.com and it's like "run away"!

I'm afraid that you have to pay the full msrp to get the privilege to be one of the first to own this camera.

Thierry

3. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Beware the "Razzle Dazzle"!

It seems like I've encountered a few (too many) stories about "less than reputable" internet retailers. I would simply advise that:

(a) Always check them out with a source like resellersratings.com ...or even a Google search to see if anyone else has had problems with them...
    (b) If the deal seems too good, be sceptical... once they've got your money, it's harder to get it back! Read a few of the horror stories about these guys and see for yourself...

It might be better to pay a little more to get some security & peace-of-mind than to hunt for that incredible deal...

Personally, I'm willing to gamble on the "small stuff" from an unknown dealler -- anything that I could blow in a good night of drinking. Other than that, I go with those I know and/or have had good experiences with.

4. Shop for a dealer, not a price.

Woody

5. If you're thinking of being put on a waiting list instead of an immediate purchase, you might consider Ritz. Ritz has free ground shipping, no tax, and you can get 2% ($34) rebate if you sign up for Ebates and access the Ritz site via Ebates. It worked for me on my pre-order. I believe returns and exchanges can be made to any of their brick and mortar locations. And who knows, given its early distribution of the first batch of D200's, maybe Ritz now has an "in" with Nikon.

6. This is how I was able to get an early shipment on the D2X when it came out.
    Dave

7. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Woody :

Amen, brother !

I bought mine from a dealer in a town that I go to for business regularly. The owner is a great guy, treated me squarely, and shipped Friday for delivery yesterday. I've visited his store several times a year when I travel to that town, and we've established a good rapport. My local store where I live had twenty-five people on a list, but the shop I bought it from shipped it the day of delivery to him.

And, more to the point, he had a fair and competitive price compared with all of the internet and NYC stores. He stands 100% behind the equipment he sells, and doesn't blink at helping his customers.

I'm pleased to get the camera in a timely manner, and as a delicious note, I was able to successfully support a local small business owner (even if he's not exactly local to me).

John P.

8. Another possibity...

I got mine from Robert's in Indianapolis for $1,649.97. (I had talked to ecost.com and they told me they were expecting their shipment on January 10th.)

You can call Robert's @ 1-800-726-5544 and see if they have any left in stock...

Nice folks to deal with and they sent mine out the same day they got them in.

Dennis

9. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I know what everyone says but e-cost is not one of the horrible retailers. I have purchased them from the past and have had no problem with them.

10. robert has a list...... :(

ecost has a list and starting 2nd list for end of Jan

11. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    From what I've read, you got lucky...

12. It's really hard to say. Online shops like Amazon, Dell, etc also can get bad reseller ratings, but you probably don't have too much trouble trusting them to deliver on things either.

FWIW, I have a coworker who bought his D70 from eCost w/out problems too, and I believe he's bought various other things from them before w/out problems also.

Still, I agree that one needs to be cautious about online dealers.

As for me, I did place a recent order for the D200 w/ eCost at the ~$100 discount. Don't know when I'll actually receive it, but I expect it'll be no sooner than 2 weeks from now. Also, I still need to call up Nikon to check whether they are an authorized dealer -- if not, I will cancel the order. In the mean time, I just checked Samy's and placed an order w/ them to see if I can get in on their shipment that's expected to arrive tomorrow or Thursday. It doesn't sound promising as their back log is nearly 290. Will have to call them again to see tomorrow.

_Man_

13. Warning. We've seen horror stories about folks scouring the internet for the lowest price(s). They're heading for a big financial blunder. If one absolutely has to scrounge for a lowest advertized price for a camera, maybe they should aim a bit lower...or wait a while and get it from a solid vendor.

You get what you pay for.

Rich

14. circutcity.com from another member...

Called ordered and shipping was 3bux higher then the .com
    the sale rep on the phone said you also get the Xmas discount
    $170.00 off

next day shipped, taxed and all said and done.... $1665.20
    should have it thursday...

15. I will be canceling my order from eCost (and Samy's) as soon as I see my order from CircuityCity shipped. My sales tax is high enough to offset most of the 10% discount though, but I don't mind as long as I actually get the camera now and have the much better backing of CC behind it.

_Man_