Season's greetings!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kevin Scott, Dec 17, 2005.

1. I know the picture galleries are there for posting pics but I really wanted a larger audience.

I wanted to express my gratitude to everyone at the Nikon Cafe(esp Frank and Patrick for creating/maintaining this site) and to extend my greetings for the holiday season.

The last 8 months have been a great experience being a part of the Cafe! For about a year prior, I lurked at dpr reading everything I could to learn about cameras, lighting, retouching, printing, etc, etc. I never joined though, never feeling compelled. Of course I couldn't decide between Nikon or Canon back then. :redface:

Seeing all the wonderful shots posted there by many of the great photogs here inspired me and ultimately drove me to a Nikon decision. I remember feeling apprehensive posting my first shots here. Then I met up with a group of people from here during the Merritt Island shoot last May. What a great group! Friendly, funny, accommodating, instructing and caring!

I best can sum up my experience here as having a new birth concerning photography. Just as a new born baby can't walk or talk, I feel my photographic skills are still in their infancy. What's encouraging though is the inspiration I receive from people here and the realization that the future is bright! I've seen marked improvement in my shots and for that I'm grateful to the unselfish sharing of others' techniques and skills.

We've got a great community here and I wish there was something I could do in return. To that end, I'll offer up a shot with a little holiday cheer.

To the friends I've met here and had the pleasure of shooting with, to the friends I've only conversed with and to the friends I have yet to make, I wish you the Merriest of Christmases and the Happiest of New Years.

[​IMG]
    Taken with the 105/f2.5 AIS, D2x, 1/2 sec on tripod, f5.3 and ISO320

With warm regards

2. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi Kevin, although I have only been here a short while I already consider this place my digital armchair and as such I also consider you and all the other members here my "new friends" Never in all my years of visiting internet forums have I found such a warm and welcoming group of people and I wish I had found this place first.
    My New year wish is that this "community" should continue to blossom with none of the petty squabbling and nit picking associated with other forums.
    I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here however brief and will continue to do so, hopefully for a long time to come.
    So to all members new and old I wish all the best for this Christmas and the coming New Year, and offer thanks for being such a welcoming family!
    To good friends
    CHEERS!!!

3. Well said, Kevin and Chaz. I'm so glad that I joined the Cafe. You guys are all so magnificant.

Merry Christmas

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Kevin,
    Merry Christmas and a Great New Year to you and your family :>)))

Been a great shooting year and I am always glad to join shooting with you and the others.

5. TheKO

TheKO

May 3, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    Kevin - Very nice words and thoughts. You don't have to make excuses about your photo skills being in their infancy as they are already very good.

Wonderful Christmas shot you posted here.

I think we all agree what a superb job that Frank and Patrick did in setting up the NC.

I too would like to add my Christmas and New Years greetings to all here at NC and hope the next year brings us all together at Merrit Island IV!

6. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Man, who you trying to kid!

Your skills are as good as anybody's here! Love your card, it's one of the best ones I've ever seen 'round here!

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Very well said, Kevin. We all have much to be appreciative of here at the Cafe. I visit the Cafe each day...first thing in the morning, several times during the day and every evening. No way I could enjoy my photography as much as I do if I had not joined...I owe plenty to all who make this place the outstanding resource that it is.

8. Kevin,

Thank you for you great card and wishes. I think however that you are way too modest in the photographic skills department. :eek: I too really enjoy the camaraderie and the seemingly endless knowledge and support being offered by the Cafe members, every day. It's a tribute to Frank and Patrick's vision.

This is a fabulous Christmas image: it speaks to me in even more ways, with the word "Noel" (that how we say Christmas in French, of course! :smile:) and by the fact that you took it with the 105mm AIS f/2.5 lens. I just received mine this week from an eBay purchase, and while it's really difficult to nail the focus at f/2.5, I can already see what people love about this lens.

Christmas greetings and a Happy New Year to you and everyone at the Cafe!

9. I hope my sentiments don't seem to lead people to believe I'm fishing for compliments. I am somewhat modest but know I can occasionally take a nice shot. I think of it as being more humble, a trait my mother always tried to teach me. It's seeing all the great shots posted here that keep me humble and realize there's always room for improvement while inspiring me to always strive to be a better photographer and never become complacent with my skills. In that sense, I'm an infant just starting out on a journey.

I'm fortunate in that I feel photography has become a passion of mine, not simply a hobby filling my time. Because of the passion, it drives me to always look for improvement. I'm a perfectionist, a trait my mother never really understood, so I'm also my worst critic.

Sorry to "talk about Mom" but this was her favorite time of the year and I get sentimental remembering her. :smile: And thanks for all the kind words!

Philippe, you're gonna love that lens! I find I don't use it as much as I should. :wink:

10. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Great thread Kevin (and all of you that have responded :wink:). We are very lucky here at the Cafe, to have such great members, who make this the enjoyable, relaxing place to be that it is. Not many photography forums where a member can ask for advice on a first date....and get several really good replies. :smile:

My Christmas wish is that the Cafe continues to grow and prosper, but that we never lose the wonderful camaraderie that we have found here.