1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Seattle & Olympic NP Photo Suggestions ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bright Angel, Jul 13, 2008.

1. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

I'll be in the Seattle area in a few days time.
    Can anyone give me a few photo op suggestions for Seattle and Olympic National Park ?

I've heard that Kerry Park in Seattle is good for cityscape shots.
    I plan to stay in Port Angeles (if possible) for one night and shoot Rialto Beach at Sunset.
    But I'm looking for other places within Olympic, maybe shots of streams etc.
    I've downloaded the NPS map.

Then stay in the SeaTac area for two nights.

Thank you.

2. * Pioneer square area
    * go to the top of the Smith Building on a clear day
    * Pike's Place market
    * Fremont neighborhood and see the troll under the bridge
    * the zoo is nice
    * Cityscapes from the ferry to Bainbridge (when you go to Olympic)
    * Space needle
    * Sculpture Park
    * Kerry Park
    * Ballard Locks

From Port Angeles you can drive up to Hurricane Ridge (I forget the exact name). It's part of the National Park.

You can see my Seattle Gallery for these places.

As you see I love Seattle and been there a few times. Enjoy!

3. A lot depends on what you are looking for.

How many days will you be in the area?
    What kinds of things are you looking for?

From your post it sounds like this will be short trip.

If you can spend a couple of days on the Penninsula you have a lot of options. You have about a 2 hour drive from Rialto Beach to Port Angeles. If you spend the night in Port Angles, you could get up very early, head to Hurricane Ridge for Sunrise and scenics, probably see some of the local dear as well. If you have more time, there are lot's of Seascapes and Waterfalls, see This List of Waterfalls for some examples.

If you go to Pike's Place, and you should, try to shoot the Fish Market guys throwing Salmon. Let them know you are there, they might put on a show for you :wink:

4. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you very much for the replies and suggestions.

Alex, thanks for posting a link to your website, that's given me inspiration :smile:

Bill, I'm mainly wanting Landscape and Cityscape shots.
    I think I'm more of a nature photographer than a urban photographer :wink:

I get there on the 15th July and fly home on the morning of the 18th.
    But, most of the 17th will be spent getting ready to go home.

5. That is a very short time indeed. The Olympic Penninsula is going to take a whole day, no matter what you do, so from your dates, you really only have the 15th after you arrive and the 16th to shoot. If it were me, I'd head for the Olympic Penninsula as soon as possible on the 15th. Shoot whatever waterfalls and such you can fit in while driving to La Push for Rialto Beach at Sunset. An alternative might be to stay in the Seatac area the 15th, try to get a Sunset from Kerry Park, then get up before dawn, drive to Alki Beach and shoot the cityscape at Dawn. From there, head to the Penninsula for waterfalls during the day and Rialto Beach at Sunset. Stay in La Push and drive back to Seatlle the morning of the 17th. The killer, I think, is going to be the drive times getting around the Penninsula. And watch for Mt. Rainier oportunities at Dawn and Sunset as well.

6. JoJo2Fast

JoJo2Fast

Nov 20, 2007
    Auburn, WA
    Alki Beach, if you have a good tripod go there at night and you could get an awesome pano of seattle. It's one of the best views imo.

7. jaymc

jaymc Guest

Don't forget Hurricane Ridge! :tongue:

8. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Many thanks for the additional information.

I think I'll visit Rialto Beach for sunset on the 15th.
    Alki Beach for sunset on the 16th and Kerry Park for sunset on the 17th (or maybe swap those two around).

As for Olympic NP, I'll probably just concentrate on the Northern part of it.

9. You might want to try Second Beach, it is on the same road going to Rialto, Ruby beach is my favorite and not to far away also. Waterfalls, streams and rain forest shots... try the Sol Duc.

If you have any more specific questions, please ask. I know that area fairly well when it comes to landscape shots.

10. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Thank you.
    I've booked a night's accommodation in Forks, instead of Port Angeles.
    That should cut down on the travelling, back and forth from Beach(s) to hotel.

I can't think of any questions at the moment, but if I do I'll let you know :smile:
    Thanks

11. Bright Angel

Bright Angel Guest

Are there free car parking areas near the Space Needle ?
    Supermarket parking lots etc :biggrin:

12. Most stores (supermarkets etc) monitor their parking lots. My daughter in law was towed, so I know they do :wink:

I dont know of any Free Parking, other than street parking if you can find it in the evenings.

13. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    I second that. There is a place where you can pull off the main road, set up your tripod and shoot till your heart's content :) 

If you are a Deadliest Catch fan, you can also go to the locks and see the Northwestern. She's at the Pacific Fisherman shipyard getting overhauled. Email them to check and see that she is still going to be there before you go. I saw her on my last trek down to Seattle :) 

Carole

14. Carole

Carole

Jun 15, 2008
    Bellingham, WA
    Nothing free in that area . . . but there is a lot near the Needle that isn't all that expensive.

Carole

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.