1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Seattle Skyline

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Cslucas34, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    7D00B04B-F562-4F97-AB48-4563AE294CBC.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Love this city.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Very nice, taken from a ferry?

3. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    Yes. Was very glad for the 5 axis stabilization in the camera. The ferry was vibrating like crazy.

4. I’m surprised the water is so smooth from a boat

Very nice shot

• Like Like x 1
  5. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

This is tremendous!!

• Like Like x 1
  6. taken from a Ferry so how can the water be that smooth unless you did a long exposure.
    I'm confused

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Same here.

• Like Like x 1
  8. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    You guys must be have a "senior moment" :D . Since a boat's wake is always behind the boat, which way is this one travelling.

9. No, I thought about that. But the water looks like a long exposure. And if the ferry is out, surely there are some other boats stirring to generate wakes.

Maybe the OP will enlighten us soon.

10. West

West

Jan 2, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    It says 1/500s. Seattle is in a sheltered bay, the ocean does turn to glass sometimes when there's no wind. Quit common even up my way.

• Like Like x 1
  11. You're right, I hadn't noticed the SS. Perhaps it was a blended multiple exposure, but that sounds unlikely.

12. 1/500 doesn’t make water look like that
    There’s no way a ferry doesn’t make any wake

13. Very nice, the water is sure smooth.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    Haha I am sorry guys I should have clarified that I smoothed out the water in post processing. Long exposure wouldn’t have captured the clouds like I wanted to I chose clarity shot for the clouds and did the water post

15. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    thank you!

16. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    8C0607CD-8160-410F-BA3E-1CB24CF154A1.jpeg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
    Here is another I took the same
    Trip using the same post processing techniques.

17. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    The water was very smooth for the PNW standard but I blended and blurred to make it look like glass

18. Replytoken

Replytoken

Jan 12, 2018
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    And you even captured the official bird of Seattle - the construction crane! Ferry rides back from BI or Bremerton are always good for some nice shots. Nice work and post processing.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  19. Cslucas34

Cslucas34

Oct 8, 2018
    Thanks Ken! I was happy to go back home for a few days and snap a few while I was there. I grew up on the Kitsap Peninsula and was also stationed there while I was active duty.

• Like Like x 1
  20. I llove the first image. Very nice composition and you made a very good job with the water.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.