Seattle trip next mid-August

Does anyone have any suggestions concerning a 2 week trip to Seattle next August 2009? Good/bad time of year - enough things in the NW to see/do?

Thanks - Mark

Mark,

Your timing is perfect. I have gone twice in mid August for a week with perfect weather, and I am going again next week for a boating get together. I am hoping for a third year with no rain. If you bring your camera you will not be bored, there are so many opportunities.

Mark,

Your timing is perfect. I have gone twice in mid August for a week with perfect weather, and I am going again next week for a boating get together. I am hoping for a third year with no rain. If you bring your camera you will not be bored, there are so many opportunities.

Do you have any specific suggestions - I already heard about the flying fish market.

Z

Zarry

Mark,
Normally August is a good time to Seattle or Pacific Northwest. I'm thinking that Tom came when we had a bit of rain. As they say, if you don't like the weather here, wait 5 minutes and it will change.

This year we've had a bit of a soggy summer, but then we've also had weather in the 90s.

As far as places to go: A lot of it depends on what you like to photo and what kind of transportation you have. The Pike Place Market is good choice. Anywhere near the water is good also. If you want to venture into the San Juan Islands you might get to see whales, but the scenery is great.

If you want to take a drive up to Canada or take the ferry, you can go to Victoria (you need a passport or birth certificate).

Going up to Mt. Rainier is a good view also as well as take a juant down to Mt. St. Helen's to see the mtn after the eruption. To go to MSH, it's a couple hours drive from Seattle.

Olympia - the Capitol grounds - the rose garden, the view.

Tacoma - the Glass Museum, Point Defiance Rose Garden

Seattle - the Flight Museum, Woodland Park Zoo, Art Museum

Hope this helps.

Dee

Two weeks in early August is almost an ideal time. The weather here is always unpredictable, but summers here can be absolutely glorious.

Two weeks is too long to spend in the urban Seattle area, but if you make it your base there are lots of great places to go. There are many great places already mentioned here, and plenty of photographic opportunities. If you like scenics, I'd head out to the Olympic peninsula, Mount Rainier, and toward Eastern Washington too.

You can even do a little side trip up to Vancouver and/or Victoria which is really nice.

Z

Zarry

Big Daddy - I forgot all about the Peninsula - To do the loop is a fantastic idea. Lake Crescent, Sequim, Forks, the ocean beaches, Hood Canal.

When one lives here, we tend to forget of what's in our backyard.

Dee

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
I'm really glad I read this post - in three weeks I'll be in Seattle for a few days before heading to Vancouver and Victoria and was compiling a list of the best places to take photos. I like land and waterscapes, cityscapes and architecture, so I'm glad to hear that I will have a wide variety of choices.

Thks!

Mark,

I have not been checking this thread since I got back, just found your question. As others have said now, there are so many things and so much variety, if you have transportation to get out of town you should. I had rain for a few hours the first day and after that just a brief sprinkle. The landscape does provide spectacular views, many with water and the temperature is pleasant for walks or hikes. Bring a sweater.

I did go to the Museum of Flight and had only an hour and a half before closing, not enough. Here is a sample, click on it for large version:

DSC_7393.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest threads

Top Bottom