Sebring 2007

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by jimc, Mar 24, 2007.

1. jimc

jimc

Jan 12, 2006
    Tampa, Fl
    Spent 3 days at Sebring mostly using the D200 and D70 and 80-200 2.8 2 ring. Here are a few. It only took a week to get most of them done between my real job and sleeping.
    All processing done using LightZone in Linux.
    Enjoy :)
    Any comments/suggestions welcome.
    Thanks for looking.

Jim

The main page is here:
    http://www.jimcphotos.com/Sebring2007/index.html

This is the car that won the 12hr race:
    [​IMG]

There were separate races for different class cars. The was in the GT race.
    [​IMG]

Penske Racing had 2 of these entered. They didn't do well against the Audis and Acuras, with one Porsche finishing in the top 8.
    [​IMG]

Michael Andretti's team finished 2nd place with this car. Acura took 3 out of the top 6 positions, Porsche took 1.
    [​IMG]

This was the only Aston Martin entry this year:
    [​IMG]

Warmup for the 12hr race started at sunrise.
    [​IMG]

2. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    Great shots Jim. I'm working on my photos in ALR now. I started my thread here. I hope to have more photos there soon.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. JoeG

JoeG

Nov 2, 2006
    Tyrol, Austria
    the second and especially the third are great! I love the 3rd.

4. jimc

jimc

Jan 12, 2006
    Tampa, Fl
    Thanks for the the replies.
    It is very difficult to get a smooth background at Sebring when the track is surrounded by campers and motor homes. I think I need a VR lens so I can pan at 1/15th sec at 200mm. I watched a guy do that time after time with a D60 and 70-200 IS lens.
    Jim

5. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I used a 18-200 VR and a 300/4 AF-S at Sebring, and a Sigma 150/2.8 for some night shots. I'm really wanting to get the 70-200 VR and a TC14E. I think that might work better. It was hard for me (1st trip to Sebring) to find good places to shoot.

I'm really looking forward to Petit Le Mans.

6. Fans, campers etc. are part of the natural background at most races, nothing wrong with that. I think you did a great job. Don't think you need to be dropping all the way to 1/15th. Your 1/160th shot of the Corvette has good blur.
    At 1/15th yYou've got to be darned steady and dead on tracking, even with VR/IS. I certainly wouldn't shoot an entire race like that.

Of course car speed is a big factor. Faster means higher pan speed and you can use higher shutter to get good blur.

Don

7. RaceTripper

RaceTripper

Jan 6, 2007
    St. Louis
    I agree with that, but what's really nice about Road Atlanta is that there are plenty of places to get shots with just woods in the background. The campers aren't so ubiquitous as they are at Sebring (where it's all you see in any direction).