second BAD/FOGGED screen on iMac 24" TODAY - YOUR thoughts?

yep
went to the apple store this morning
got my mac an iMac
can home
fine for 15 mins
then.... fogging and blurriness in the bottom right-hand side
when turned off you could see this fogging below the glass
drove the 45 mins back
when i arrived at the store.... the screen was FINE.... OF COURSE
exchanged for a new one

home with new one
on for 30 mins....
fogging again
worse than the first one

was stored in a/c store
taken home in a/c car
in a/c home now

i took out my hair dryer....
and.... it DOES take the fogging away

anyone else ever have this?

that sounds unfortunate...... was it maybe stored in a non a/c warehouse at the store?

and you don't have a strong magnet anywhere near that bottom right corner, do you?

no magnet
good thought
the hair dryer fixes the issue
then....
after a while
it comes back... though not as bad
maybe i'll just leave it on for a couple of days and see

they brag about how the iMac is SEALED SHUT against everything
so...
i guess that the water vapor can't get OUT, either :frown:

2 images:

339175067_FZGhz-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

339175102_F6tnd-XL.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was thinking something the size of a 50 cent piece

that is terrible

when you say fog, you mean actual water like condensation right? not electrical, but physical

do the monitors appear to be "unsealed" in anyway? any cracks or anything? (probably unlikely since this is the second time)

they look completely sealed
definitely 2 UNopened boxes... of that i have NO doubt

the monitor is fine now.... after i used the blow dryer on it for a bit...
yep.... ELECTRONICS LOVE HEAT......
crap

should i mention that the apple store is 45 mins from my house....
so.... that's 3 hours in the car today for this "fun and excitement."

That's so strange... be careful with the hairdryer, you wouldn't want to void your warranty!

you are right about the hairdryer
i'll never mention it to them

i got all of the condensation to go away... with < 1 minute of the use of the dryer
now..... 15 mins later..... about 10% has returned

unreal, huh?

Wonder if the batch the store you bought from was stored in a hi-humidity location for an extended period of time. May explain getting 2 units with this problem.

That blows, Greg! I can understand one, but not two identical issues. What an inconvenience!

yeah, francis
i am SO far from happy right now
the iMac is ok now... after the HAIR DRYING
who knows if the cycle will repeat itself after the unit is off and cools down and heats up restart

i will bring it back tomorrow.... IF that is the case
i suppose they must have left THE WHOLE BATCH out in some high-humidity.... HOT warehouse..... CRIMINAL, as far as i am concerned

Chill out, Greg (pun intended!) :wink:

You live in Florida, don't you? As you probably know :tongue:, it is quite humid there... Once the device settles at the proper temperature and humidity levels, the condensation just goes away. As far as monitors being sealed... you need some vents to let the heat exhaust, and incidentally, also letting the moisture in.

And no, it is not criminal (if you ever lose power or your A/C in your house, you will become a criminal too, won't you?), and I don't think there was anything wrong with your first one, or that there is anything wrong with the second one (other than applying the hair dryer to it! :wink:). You've just wasted at least 1.5 hours driving back. Just relax a bit, sheesh...

yeah, francis
i am SO far from happy right now
the iMac is ok now... after the HAIR DRYING
who knows if the cycle will repeat itself after the unit is off and cools down and heats up restart

i will bring it back tomorrow.... IF that is the case
i suppose they must have left THE WHOLE BATCH out in some high-humidity.... HOT warehouse..... CRIMINAL, as far as i am concerned

I don't blame you, either! Do you have any other Apple stores there that you could try? Perhaps in the shopping mall? This is something you don't want to take a chance on. I hope you get it all sorted out for Mac - I bet she's just anxious to start using it.

Chill out, Greg (pun intended!) :wink:

You live in Florida, don't you? As you probably know :tongue:, it is quite humid there... Once the device settles at the proper temperature and humidity levels, the condensation just goes away. As far as monitors being sealed... you need some vents to let the heat exhaust, and incidentally, also letting the moisture in.

And no, it is not criminal (if you ever lose power or your A/C in your house, you will become a criminal too, won't you?), and I don't think there was anything wrong with your first one, or that there is anything wrong with the second one (other than applying the hair dryer to it! :wink:). You've just wasted at least 1.5 hours driving back. Just relax a bit, sheesh...

I think Greg is justified. It's not like it's a $40 item. He works hard for his money. So hard for his money. So you better treat him right :tongue:

LCD displays do not have a problem with magnetic fields. CRT displays have the problem with magnetic fields because they have electrons which travel in a vacuum.

Bob

Latest threads

Top Bottom